From:
Amy Goldman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 12:29:53 -0500
John Rosloot wrote:

>Odin, father of Thor and ruler of the Norse gods who was one-eyed.  Maybe
>the little fuzz-body just wants to usurp Odin's place as king ferret :).

Oh my goodness - either we missnamed our ferrets, or Thor really does want
to be king ferret!  :^) I wonder how Odin feels about this - he sure did
miss Thor while he was at Tufts, so I suspect he willingly gives up his
place just to have Thor home again!  :^)

Thor is doing really well!  We saw him dance a little dance on Saturday, and
then Sunday was all out joy dance and play!  It was SO good to see.  He is
getting around no problem - you wouldn't even know that he only has one eye.
The only odd thing is that when we pick him up and have him head on to us,
he tends to put the right side of his head towards us (the side now missing
the eye).  I'm so glad that he feels better!  He's been great about taking
his medicine, and hasn't tried to paw at or scratch his eye area.  (Whew - I
did not want to have to try one of those cone collar things with him!)

Saturday night our boys met my brother's puppy, a Shih-Tzu.  This was the
cutest thing I've seen.  Thor (Mr. Fearless) immediately approached Menuki
(the dog) and began sniffing at him.  Odin (Mr. Scaredy-Ferret) freaked out,
and ran for cover under the kitchen cart, tailed totally poofed.  Menuki
wasn't sure what to make of these guys (having never met ferrets before),
but eventually got the idea that "hey, these guys are smaller than me and
will play!"  Thor seemed to play a bit with him, then went into his basket.
(Remember this is the day *after* his surgery - he sure was doing well!)
Menuki knew to let him be.  Eventually Odin ventured out, went running back,
and did this a few times.  Then we got the idea that he was *playing* with
Menuki, and the dog got the idea too.  Since he couldn't get under the cart,
he laid in front of it, and batted his paws for Odin to come out and play.
Later on, the two sniffed around at each other, and played chase a bit more.
Oh, and they tasted each other's food!

The funniest thing was that the two ferrets ended up curled up asleep in the
dog's carrier, with Menuki lying in front as if to say "Hey, what about me?
That's *my* bed!"  We thought maybe all three would curl up together, but I
guess Menuki still wasn't too sure.  Still, it was a pretty painless
introduction, and I think they even had fun together!

Thanks to everyone for their wishes and thoughts for Thor.  The support was
*greatly* appreciated!

Amy (and Odin & Thor)
----
[log in to unmask] is:

Amy Goldman
Dimensional Insight                   Voice: (617) 229-9111
111 South Bedford Street              Fax:   (617) 229-9113
Burlington, MA 01803