From:
Jayne Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 20:41:30 -0500
Hi All--I hate to be posting with such a depressing note, but I would really
like the situation to get resolved with a happy ending for the fert, so here
goes:

I went into the Fox Mill Pet Shop in Reston, Va, looking for some 8 in 1
food, and while I was there I took a look around.  I noticed a little area,
about 3 feet up, with Plexiglass sides, that had rabbits and another
creature I couldn't see.  As I walked closer, I noticed it was a fert.  At
first I went, "Aw cute, the weasel in with the rabbits", but something made
me stop thinking that.  Then it occured to me that it was a *ferret* in with
the rabbits.  I was starting to wonder why the rabbits weren't terrified
when I looked at the fert.  Looked like about a 6-8 week old MF, but he was
just wandering around, not dancing or jumping or even walking briskly.  I
walked over to pet him, and I noticed he had some seepage from his eye and
barely kept it open.  I put my hand in to pet him and he just walked very
slowly over and put his front paws on my hand.  Not trying to hop up or
anything, just putting them there, like he was exhaused.  I picked him up to
see what sex he was, and to me, it looked like his little tummy was concave,
he was so skinny.  I had two semi underweight ferts, and they looked like
pigs compared to this poor little guy.  Meanwhile this poor little baby
never once fussed at being picked up, just sat there.  I noticed that there
was an employee right next to me, and she must have heard me say "Oh you
poor thing, you are really sick!".  I don't know how she *couldn't* have
heard me, but anything's possible.  It just about killed me to put the poor
little critter back, and when I did he just wandered off again.  If I had my
druthers, I would have snapped him up right there but aside from financial
matters, I am just hitting the tail end of a dominance war with Marshie and
my new one, Saffy, and frankly I don't have the energy right now to deal
with it.  My question is, what can I do to make sure this little guy gets
better?  Should I go back and question the employees?  Right next to this
rabbit enclosure was a ferret cage with another ferret in it, sleeping.
That setup looked okay, I saw some Totally Ferret, a hammie, water bottle,
etc.  I just don't see how anyone could not notice a ferret *that* ill.

What should I do?  It about broke my heart to see him, and I cannot let
things just happen to it.  Any advice would be appreciated.....

Laura, Saffy, Gatsby, and Marshie