From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:55:27 -0500
>The histopath report revealved she had lymphosarcoma.  In seven days Kele
>was gone from when her behavior changed.  My question is, is lymphosarcoma
>being seen more in younger ferrets?  She was a Marshall Farms ferret.  I'm
>also aware MF ferrets have higher incidences of

There are a couple of forms of lymphoma - juvenile lymphoma, which
Kele seems to have had, is much more likely to cause rapid onset and
progression of clinical signs.  Don't beat yourself up over this - not
much would have helped.  As far as a higher incidence of cancer in MF
ferrets over other breeders - I'm not sure I agree with this.  We see
more MF ferrets in my practice than from other breeders, so of course we
see more MF ferrets with cancer.  But percentage wise, it seems to work
out pretty similarly between the two groups.

I am sorry to hear of your loss - it's hard to lose them young.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.