From:
Ted Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 1996 17:58:00 -0400
Hi there,

I did post asking about this about a fortnight ago, but didn't receive any
useful responses, so here goes again.  By the way, I have asked our vet and
she is also looking into this, so I'm not only looking here for info/help,
rather for additional opinions and feedback.

We are hoping to take our two ferrets with us to Norway later in the year.
The Veterinary authorities there require the following vaccinations :
distemper, leptospirosis and feline panleucopenia.  A serological test for
brucellosis (Brucella canis) is also required.

Our vet seemed to think that apart from the distemper vaccine (which the
fuzzies are up to date on) these are quite unusual requirements.  Has anyone
else had their ferrets vaccinated for these and this test performed?  Are
they necessary?  Are there ferret-safe vaccines and tests?  Any other info I
could bounce off our vet?  And any opinions on why they might be required?

And, finally a little question (in a very small voice) - anyone have
any ideas how we could go there without having to go through a 120
day quarantine :(

Okay, not quite finally :)
I also posted a while back about Orville who is a little whiffy and we are
trying him on a high fibre diet before going the antiobiotics and surgery
route.  Well, we started about a month ago, just trying him on a higher
fibre food.  Naaaa, he didn't like that one.  A week ago we went back and
had his glands expressed again, so we weren't making any progress - not
suprising since he refused the nasty kibbles.

We've now tried two types of Medi Cal - Fibre Formula & Weight Control, Iams
Lamb & Rice, Iams Less Active & Science Diet Light - doesn't like any of
them.  Not in oil, not in peanut butter, not wet :( So we've moved to 'real'
foods - and I've now got him to lick a bit of a mixture of canned pumpkin,
bran and peanut butter.  Don't yet know if its having any effect - he
whiffed today :(, but I think his stool looked larger.

Anyone out there had any luck with anal glands and an altered diet?  He is
probably not eating more than quarter to half a teaspoon of this mush I'm
creating so I don't know if its enough even if it could work.  I wouldn't
object to any further suggestions on this as well, if anyone can provide
them.  I do free feed Orville and Rajah, so anything I put down has to be
okay for both of them to eat.  I feed the 'mush' separately, so that's ok,
but dry food has to be okay for both of them.  Yes, in case anyone is
concerned, Rajah thinks some of the higher fibre foods are just wonderful
and our vet has warned me to keep an eye on her, in case she starts losing
weight - so far she seems to be sensible and is eating bits of everything,
including her regular food.  (Regular food for them is Science Diet Feline
Growth, Iams Kitten food and uhmmmm....teeny little letters here....Purina
Cat food - that was all Rajah was willing to eat after her surgery last year
and is still I'm afraid, her preferred diet)

Anyway, thanks for reading.  Hopefully someone out there can come up with
some advice and ideas.  I'll be calling our vet tomorrow to find out what
she's come up with regarding separate vaccines etc and to report on
Orvillekins progress.

Regards,
Tanya, Orville & Rajah