From:
"Scarlett A. Gray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 11:04:30 EST
Dooks and Raisins to All!

My name is Scarlett Gray and I run Scarlett's Happy Dookers ferretry in
Columbus.  I've been lurking on the FML for about 4 years now.  Hard to
remember how long - it's the ferret fumes - they have tendency to distort
time, space.... oh, were was I.  Anyway, I heard about the FML at a show
and then found it in Ferret Central and have lurked ever since.  Used to
run off copies for others to read while driving to shows - had to stop -
ran out of tissues for all the crying about the sick, lost, hurt ferrets.

I have had ferrets for over 7 years.  Started out with 2, then 4 then 8
and then I started breeding and going to shows.  A full blow addict.
Yea, Yea, I can stop anytime I want.

In 1997, ferrets became legal in Franklin County/Columbus, OH and so I
decided to celebrate by coming out of the closet and starting a club.  I
remembered how hard it was to get info on the critters and the only contact
I had was a long distance call to Linda Harrah (FerretSense) out in Buckeye
Lake.

Since I'd been doing some rescue along with breeding (you know, when people
find out you have ferrets you get this "I or my friend has this ferret....)
adding rescue/shelter services seemed natural.  Also, I am a firm believer
that "if you're willing to send them out into the world, you should be
willing to take them in".  Now with Heart of Ohio Ferret Assoc.  (On it's
way to become a 501(C)(3) or is 3c always get that confused) I do
rescue/shelter=20with the help of other club members.  So that's how I
became Prez of Heart f Ohio Ferret Assoc. (HOFA) and why HOFA) came about.

Currently, we have 15 rescues but only 5 are adoptable Club members and
fellow breeders here in Columbus, Bunny Kaldor and Pam Hostetler have 3 of
them at their place.  I have 10 that are unadoptable at my place along two
adoptables - Toby and Knobye (a pair of 3+ year olds that are inseparable.)
These, in addition to 14 kits and young adults that are available for
adoption and my 24...ah who's countin....

Let me introduce my brood.  Nicci(DEW) & Kodiak(cinnamon) are both
(Supreme Grand Champions.  Nicci in the Handicap), Meiko(Silvermitt),
Frangelico(cinnamon), Absolut Gold (1/2 Swedish cinnamon),
Jaegermeister(5/8 German silvermitt) , Kulaha & Cream & Oreo Cream are both
sable pandas) , Tia Maria (cinnamon), Zinfandel(1/2 NZ&1/2 German siamese),
Cognac(Chocolate), Brandy(Cinnamon), Goldschlager(1/4 Swedish cinnamon),
Gisborne's Zen (3/4 NZ 1/4 German siamses finepoint), Absenth Sebor(1/2
Swedish dark sable), Jigger(1/4 Swedish cinnamon), Chambord(DEW with
chocolate tail), Godet(chocolate pattern), Steinlager(siamese) Martini(dark
silvermitt), Skyy(silvermitt), Tanguray( German and NZ silvermitt) .and 2
girls to be named as yet.  Gee, can we see a theme coming out in the names?
Well, they are addictive.

Got any suggestions on names for a sable panda girl with a "dot" on her
forehead and a cinnamon 1/4 Swedish jill.  Remember the theme....

Martini is the daughter of Nicci and Pat Musick's Rascal (Pat swore he was
a "dud of a stud".  Gisborne's Zen(Gizzie J) parents are Gisborne Gold (I
lost him this last summer :( ) and Zinfandel.  Kulaha & Cream, Orea
Cream=20& unknown "Dot" are kids from Meiko.  (See sister Apache on the
website below.) Goldschlager and Jigger are from Brandy and Absolut
Gold(Abby) Gognac is Kodi's & Brandy's.  Skyy is Chambords and Cutty Sark
and unnamed cinnamon is Frangelico's(Gelly Belly) and Abby's.  Tanguray and
Steinlager are from Zinfandel's sisters.

You can see some of their pictures at http://entropia.  at the Scarlett's
Happy Dookers page.  But make sure you read all of Emma's site.  Especially
her discription of her fur kids and her rendition of what happened to HOFA
members at the SVFC's York PA show last month, it differs from Deanna's
view.  [Moderator;s note: Sorry -- that's all of the URL I received.  BIG]

I love all the fur kids and my SO, Jim (anyone that was at the Ferret
Extravaganza '99 in Columbus might remember him.  He was the short round
person with the red hair & beard that looked like a leprechaun helping the
judges, etc.) They come first with me.

But most of all , my ferrets, HOFA members, friends I have made at ferret
shows and the FML has made me appreciate how many wonderful, giving, caring
and sharing "crazy ferret" people there are out there.  (Ok, own up to it,
how many of you are known in their neighborhood as "the crazy ferret
lady/man").  I have made so many friends through HOFA and all the shows and
I can't begin to express my feelings of how much so many of them mean to
me.  We must always remember "United we stand, divided we fall".  The
ferret network out there is powerful so we need to continue to stick
together and help one another.  Especially all the newbies there are out
there cause we were newbies once too.

Ok, I used to call this "diarrhea of the mouth".  Does that mean it's ECE
of ...won't go there.  But I don't write often so I have a tendency to
overdo when I do write.  Who has time taking care of all the ferts, working
a full time job(somebody as support those ferts in the style they have
become accustomed to), shows, club meetings, etc.  etc.......But most of
you already know the same feeling.

Happy dooks to you - until we meet again....... (gosh does that age me...)

Scarlett and all the Happy Dookers