From:
Melody Tomaszewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:50:07 -0400
Shelley-

Don't know if their problem is the heat, but I found a good temporary
fix for no airconditioning.

Get six 1.5 liter bottles from soda.  Fill them almost full of water, but
leave some room for expansion.  Put them into your freezer and freeze
them solid.  In the meantime, get a long piece of a thick material like
wool or a thick tightly woven cotton that is about 4-5 feet long and
maybe 1 foot wide.  Sew it together to make a long bag with one end open.
Turn it right side out.  I used 60 inch wool and had a lot of spare room
in the tube.  When the bottles are frozen, slide 3 of them at a time into
the tube and lay it one the bottom of the cage.  I placed mine in a
semicircle, and when it got really hot, all of them were lying inside the
"cool corral" as it got named.  I aimed a fan at it, because as the
bottles "sweated" from the condensation, the wool got damp, and the fan
on the wet wool also acted to cool the area.  One refill of the bottles
would last all day.  If it gets really hot where you are, you might want
to refill every 4-5 hours.

Melodyt and the elven eight