Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:15:43 +0000
I do not know if this info is going to be helpful. However, I hope
sharing my experience would benefit someone's ferret kid.

I recently lost my ferret boy, Carlin, to lymphoma. In the weeks prior
to his death, I took Carlin to the vet when I noticed his abdomen had
begun to swell. My vet believed it was fluid build up. He took a sample
of the fluid from Carlin's abdomen. The color of the fluid looked like
a strawberry milkshake. Our vet concluded it was a chylous effusion
secondary to lymph vessel obstruction secondary to tumors. (Note: I
had my vet write down the diagnosis for me so I would not forget it).

Initially, my vet decided not to do anything, believing it was the less
risky option given Carlin's age (7 1/2 years). Despite his swollen
abdomen and tiring out quickly when he and his sister were out of their
cage for playtime, Carlin was doing okay. However, Carlin's abdomen
continued to swell over the next week. In hopes of extending Carlin's
quality of life, I agreed to let my vet drain the fluid from Carlin's
abdomen. He drained a total of 14cc's of strawberry milkshake colored
fluid from Carlin's abdomen. Carlin recovered without any complications.

He was doing well for a week or so until the fluid started to build
back up in his abdomen. This time I could tell by looking in his eyes,
Carlin had lost his fighting spirit and was no longer happy. I decided
not put Carlin through another procedure. He crossed the Rainbow Bridge
two days before Thanksgiving. The only thing I was thankful for that
day was Carlin was no longer suffering. I hope he was able to reunite
with his brother, Avery, his sister, Erin, and his best friends, Marcel
and Donny.

Thanks for letting me share.

Lisa and Ferret Clan: Freya, Siduri, Nonnie, Mony and Snowball.

RIP: George 1/13/09, Carlin 11/24/09, Bear, 12/17/09, and
Lottie, 12/23/09