From:
Peria Area Ferret Connection <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 23:23:27 -0500
Unfortunately, one of our club members had a very bad experience with a vet
who represented themself as an experienced ferret doctor.  This ferret -
approximately 5 months old went in for a routine spay.  The veterinarian
said the baby had a tumor on her kidney the size of a quarter.  The tumor
and kidney were removed.  The club member didn't tell me if they went ahead
with the spay - I assume they did.  A short time later, they checked on the
baby.  She was just starting to come around from the surgery.  They noticed
her stomach was "very bloated" and went back in.  The baby had "severe
internal bleeding" and died.  This was a veterinarian that she had only been
to once and was not her regular veterinarian.  She had taken her male ferret
in the day before for a routine neuter and had no trouble.  She did not go
to her regular veterinarian, whom has been her vet for years, because this
other doctor could do the surgery less expensively.  Please let this tragic
story be a very valuable lesson to anyone "looking for a bargain." You get
what you pay for.  She wanted a cheap surgery, and that's what she got --
cheap!

I try very hard to always see the good and I don't like to speak badly about
anyone, but an innocent ferret paid the ultimate price - this makes me mad!!
We can do better than this.

Mary Oyer
Peoria Area Ferret Connection
P.O. Box 923