From:
Dave Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 1996 09:36:29 -0400
Hi everyone!

I am new to the list and I am very excited to find other ferret lovers.  I
acquired my first ferret about six months ago from a pet store.  He was very
small (fit in the palm of my hand) and he was about 6 weeks.  He was very
affectionate and although he nipped frequently, he responded well to
training (nose thumping, verbal warnings, and pushing the heal of my hand
into his face).  His nipping had decreased greatly with these techniques.
Much to our dismay, our ferret (Hamlet) became sick within the first week of
ownership.  We took him to the vet, and the vet gave him a round of
antibiotics.  Nothing seemed to help, and he died.  The vet said that it was
distemper, and most likely Hamlet had already been infected before we bought
him.  According to the pet store, his vaccinations were up to date for the
next week.  We were heartbroken.

I waited 6 months before we got another ferret.  This time we acquired a
pair.  The person we got the ferrets from did not pay much attention to them
and kept them caged most of the time.  He said that he only let them out 2
hours a week!  We brought them home and let them out for a good scamp!  They
are getting much more time out of the cage now, but I am having a few
problems.  First, one of the ferrets (we havent named him yet) has a
tendency to bite (and I mean bite, not nip).  He gets his teeth into skin
and yanks backwards pushing with his feet.  I am trying to train him out of
this, but I hate to use the standard methods (thumping, verbal yips).  He
has been caged so much, that I don't think he is properly socialized to
humans.  If I thump or yell, It seems that I frighten him which increases
the chance he will bite again.  I also have tried to put my finger sideways
in the back of his mouth, but I can't do it as he is able to bite it again
before I get my finger in.  Any suggestions on a way to train this little
guy without scaring him, before my hand looks like a pin cushion.

The second ferret we got is much older (the closest we can guess is 5-6
years.  He sleeps most of the time, but does enjoy playing for short times.
I am concerned about him as he is unable to stand up on his hind legs.  He
walks fine, although slower than the younger one, but when he tries to stand
erect on his back legs, he often loses his balance, or falls over backwards.
It appears as if his back is to weak to hold him up.  Does anyone have
experience with older ferrets?  Is this normal in "senior" ferrets?

Thanks for the help!

-hedge