From:
zoosferretsanctuary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:48:57 -0600
I want to clarify a couple things about extending your baby's life.
First, be sure it is not in pain. If it is in pain, be sure you can
get/keep it out of pain. Most vets will be cooperative. Talk about
this, when you have your ferret in for its exam & tests. Its comfort is
what it's all about. Look for the little things---Is it still grooming
itself? Does it still want to eat? Even if it's for shorter periods of
time, does it still knock its ball around a bit, or go through its
tubes?

A vitamin B complex injection is most helpful with many of the
debilitated ones. Our last vet, Dr. Durst, turned us onto this.
It seems to help them utilize every scrap of nutrients you can get
into them, seems to increase appetite a bit, and also seems to ward
off depression a bit. There are different manufacturers, and the
ingredients are different in some of them--If anyone is interested
in what we are using, and how often, I will share.

The subQ fluids (lactated Ringers) is an amazing tool. A dehydrated
ferret just doesn't want to eat, most of the time. (No eat--no live!!!)
Most of the time, within minutes, one will accept its soup after
fluids. Its eyes will brighten, and it just plain FEELS better!

Now---I know someone out there will write & dispute this one for some
reason or another--but for us, it works. We have also found it helpful
sometimes, to add a small pinch (NOT MUCH!) of plain sea salt to their
soup for a few days. We have one of those little grinders, and a small
twist is enough. They appear to like the taste, and It seems to help
them hold onto their fluids a bit.

We like Pet Tinic. We add it to the sick ones' soup, morning & night.
(Dosage varies by weight & malady) Great stuff.

For the ones with mouth ulcers (a common reason some of them stop
eating) we like famotodine (Pepcid AC) If anyone is interested in
how we mix ours & use it, we will share.

We play music for them. (SOOTHING music--not the loud stuff LOL) Hilary
Stagg is great music to heal to. I love his stuff--but if you don't --
just turn it on for them & leave the room for a while LOL.

We brew & use essiac tea for some of our worst cancer patients (We
don't use the pre-bottled stuff) Results have been good.

Ask your vet about a low dose of prednisolone to slow the growth of
some tumors, and to reduce inflammation. We have several with lymphoma
& inoperable tumors etc. here at Zoo's Ferret Sanctuary, and they still
toddle happily around the room when it's their turn to play. We can't
change what is happening to them--but we can change the WAY they spend
their last months, weeks, or days. Every day is as comfortable & joyful
as possible. They're still having fun!

Lisette's Mini Me used to terrorize everyone in her home. I understand
Mini Me attempted to scruff & drag Princess Ralphina this morning, just
like old times. Nope---This doesn't sound like a ferret who's ready to
die, just yet!

As for volunteers--I work right alongside ours! We wash, dry, & fill
food & water dishes, sweep floor & spot treat corners, hand off litter
boxes (one retrieves, one dumps, washes,one fills with litter &
returns), wash hard toys (like tubes & buzz balls), cut N-bones into
thirds, cut fabric softener sheets into halves, & strip & dress cages.
On Saturdays, Gregg scrubs the floor.

After you're comfortable enough with your volunteers,(and they are
comfortable with the ferrets!) let them get down on the floor & play
with the fuzzies. THIS is part of volunteering too--and it's an
excellent time for you to educate them.

and lastly, we have a good snack. (Feeding your helpers is optional,
but it shows gratitude--and we are very grateful for help!)  Never
forget to say thank you, both to the volunteers, and the One who sent
them to you..

Love, Zoo.