From:
Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 21:16:48 EDT
Sorry it's been so long since part 3...we've been busy with ADV stuff...

Russian had just gotten over being sick, when Chablis became ill.  She
never became as sick as either Russian or Charlie did, but she did become
lethargic for a few days.  She didn't want to eat and, in fact, wouldn't
come out of her cage.  She actually acted more "frightened" than sick.
Chablis is a hyper little girl, always in a hurry to get somewhere or
other... she always looks like she's on a mission of great importance and
is simply much too busy to stop for a cuddle.  Chablis becoming ill is
really what started to get me concerned.  This now, was 3 ferrets that had
become ill, all with very similar symptoms, except for Russian's cough.  We
did a complete blood work-up on Chablis, which we had not done on the other
two.  Her lymphocyte count was quite elevated, as was one liver enzyme.
She felt better after a few days, but we repeated the blood work-up about 6
weeks later.  Her lymphocyte count was higher yet.  My vet and I were
discussing a biopsy when I heard that one of her and Russian's boys tested
positive for ADV.  I wrote to the breeder I got them from, and she wrote
and told me that one of Russian's boys by another jill had also tested
positive.  I'm sure you all know what it feels like when that cold knot
of fear sets in.  It certainly seemed coincidental that some undiagnosed
illness was going through my ferrets, at the same time some of their
offspring had been found to be positive for ADV.  As I said, I tested
Russian and Chablis.  Russian came back positive and Chablis negative.  I
then had all 12 tested.  As my vet put it "All are negative, except White
Russian, Chablis, Charlie, and Samson.  Kodiak tested in between and needs
to be retested."  Well, that was 5 out of 12.  And, except for White
Russian, they were all my youngest ferrets; all from private breeders.

Recently, both Kodiak and Samson had their brief "lethargic" periods.
Both are now wasting.  It seems that it's muscle mass that they're losing,
although they are losing weight also.  Their blood test did not indicate
hypergammaglobulemia...but I believe it's only a matter of time.  There is
no doubt in my mind that they have AD.  Dr. Williams said sometimes the
hypergammaglobulemia doesn't show up until "near the end".

Right now, Charlie is gaining again, but it's very obvious that Russian
has lost a lot of muscle mass.  There was a time when it wasn't possible to
scruff him, as his neck was so solid....now he's quite easy to scruff.
Charlie's cough/choke is worse the last 2 days.  I'll have to get him in
for x-rays again soon.

I wish I could describe what this virus is doing to my ferrets...and to me,
but I can't, and there are so many others going through the same thing.
Please...visit the web site and make a donation...it doesn't matter how
much.  I can't stress enough that this virus just came out of nowhere and
"blindsided" us.  When deciding whether or not to donate, please remember:
"The lives you save may be your ferrets' lives."

To be continued...

Judy
Please give...the ferret you save may be your own!
http://www.geocities.com/russiansmom/index.html