From:
jennifer robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2010 07:17:57 -0800
I agree with Nancy regarding her big ferrets I have 4 ferrets that
have a large percentage of Nancy's blood lines, and they've been
the healthiest ferrets Ive personally ever known. And as previously
mentioned, I KNOW that Nancy does NOT breed for size. The potential for
breeding issues was brought up as a comment made by a show judge, but
Nancy's big ferret still does very well at shows, so 6-pounders are not
too big,

I do understand that judges will make comments to encourage sound
breeding practices. While six-pounders are not terribly common, they
do exist, and 5.5+, intact hobs are not uncommon at all. However, I do
recall a breeder many years ago who advertised ferrets that were 7- 7.5
pounds. I suspect that these ferrets were bred for specifically for
size. This is the type of "big ferret" breeding that the AFA does not
want to see. Although I'm not a breeder (and never will be!), I too
would question the breeding practices behind a 7-/7.5 pound ferret.
But a six- pounder from Nancy's crew? No problem...just hand that big
boy over for a big hug!!!! :P

-jennifer