From:
Perkins Alexis C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 00:54:35 -0400
hi,

several questions:

1: i'm thinking of getting a buddy for the 7-8 month old ferret i now have.
my current ferret madeline gets out for several hours a day, but since my
boyfriend and i are students, she has to spend much of the day alone.  is it
a good idea to get her a friend?  will she stop relating to us?

2: if we are going to get another ferret, where should we go to find one?
we got madeline at a local pet shop, and they have another kit there
currently.  the problem is that the employees at the shop seem a little
shaddy.  they seem to lie about the ages of the ferrets (they told me that
madeline was four weeks old when i bought her, but from picturesin books
that ive seen she must have been at least double that).  they also smoke
around all of the young animals.  anyway, madeline has turned out to have a
nice temperament.  the kit they have now is from the same breeder, and is
priced at $120 fixed, descented, and with one shot.  the problem is that the
store also has a no return policy, so if the ferrets dont get along we're
out of luck.  another pet store nearby (a chain type store) has some kits
priced at $69, but also seemsto have some problems.  one of the kits
definitely seems to be too young to be away from its mother, and their price
includes fixing, descenting, and one shot--what does that leave for ferret
breeding?  also the employee told me that the ferrets were from marhsall
farms.  i havent been following that debate very closely-- whats the scoop
on that?  also the employees seemed to lie shamelessly about the ferret ages
there (_very_ full grown ferrets said to be 3 months old).

3: we are in the philadelphia area and we need to know where to go to look
for a ferret.  are there breeders to look for?  what should we look for as a
good pet store situation?  what is considered a good kit temperament re:
first impressions?  how much should we expect to pay for a kit?  is it a
good idea to get a friend for madeline?

any advice would be much appreciated,

alexis, ian, and madeline