From:
Samantha Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 1997 10:43:16 +1200
I'm sending this to the Ferret Forum as well as this FML in hopes to receive
as much help as possible for my little boy...

In early March, my hob, Guy, was diagnosed with insulinoma.  At one stage,
he took such a dramatic downturn that we felt he was only hours away from
death.  After that, Guy began a dramatic recovery that was nothing short of
miraculous.  However, over the past three weeks, Guy has started to lose
control of his bowels, and once more is having difficulty to walk.  Even
standing to go as far as his water dish has become an immeasurable
difficulty for Guy over the past few days.

Every time Guy goes in for a checkup at the vet (generally once a week),
Guy's condition seems to have improved.  Overall, since the first week, it
has.  He's gained weight, and grown back the fur he lost through stress.
However, Guy seems to have lost his will to fight.  Earlier, he was
frustrated, but still reasonably active.  Now, he's having difficulty even
curling up to sleep.  I have to cover him, since he can't get into his
bedding without help.  He's started spending more time sleeping again, and
although he hasn't lost his appetite, he just doesn't eat with the same
vigour as he was only a matter of a week ago.  I'm worried that Guy may have
given up in his fight.  As it is, my family is attempting to convince me to
put him to sleep.  Before, I was adamantly against this, but now, with his
energy and will seemingly gone, I'm considering it.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I can do?  I've tried putting one
of the girls in with him, which worked for a few days, but now he doesn't
seem to care any more.  He isn't in any pain, but he *is* frustrated and
unhappy.  If he isn't going to improve past this point, I feel it would be
kinder to put him to sleep, but if there is a possibility that he *will*, I
want to give him a chance.  Everything depends on his strength of will, I
feel, and that needs bolstering, somehow.  So please, any suggestions would
be appreciated.

Sam