From:
Graham Cooke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 14:33:40 +0100
Hi,

I read with interest the posting about a ferret being attacked by a large
owl.  I use my ferrets to bolt rabbits from their burrows for my Harris'
Hawk to catch (or mainly to miss!).  Hawks will attack ferrets.  Here in the
UK there are no birds of prey likely to go for a ferret (with any success)
but in the US you have alot of Redtailed Hawks which are more than capable
of taking a ferret.

Hawks that work with ferrets must be very carefully introduced, and my
Harris' Hawk has no problem with albino ferrets, but I would not trust her
near to a poley (similar color to a rabbit - brown).  The hawk knows that
the ferret can get the rabbits that she has for dinner and they work as a
partnership, with the hawk sitting in a tree or flying above where the
ferret is, waiting for something to happen.  It is very exciting to watch
(it is also rare for the rabbit to get caught).

On the few occaisions I have heard of a hawk actually catching a ferret, the
ferret has often caused more injury to the hawk, by biting, and the ferret
has escaped (though a trip to the vet is advisable).  A barn owl is very
unlikely to inflict any injury at all (and would provide the fuzzie with a
good meal).  I would, however, be extremely careful in a area where there
are red tails, as they have very powerful feet (I know by personal painful
experience!) and may get the better of a ferret.

graham