From:
Sunshine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 18:00:19 -0800
Problems and much controversy have been debated on boards about the
adoption of ferrets from shelters and others.  Something to think about:
Remember god gave us these wonderful animals and a mind to decide which
ferret is best for us and our life style..  Also, remember your young ones
will someday grow into older ones and I know you will feel and love them
regardless of age.  To help you decide, make a pro and con list by ages say
1-3 and 4-7 or so years old.  Then honestly write your thoughts and what
you feel comfortable with or fit your life style.  I know there are many
more items that can be listed and any suggestions for this to check!
Young Ferrets- cute and frisky, could be bitters or nippers, longer life
span, good health, will get along with your younger ones, easier to adapt
to a new place and surrounding, I work and time spent with ferret will be
limited, my need to restart inoculation if history was not supplied, check
with vet for mites, fleas, etc, carried from previous location, don't
like to be handled for long periods, stress free environment-stress will
increase susceptible to respiratory infections & parasites, ferrets please
them themselves versus please you, short attention span.

Older Ferret- harder to mix with younger ones, serious illness can occur,
time, patience, money to care for them, be prepared to supply 24 hour care
for an extended period of time, not as playful because of age, set more in
their pattern of eating, playing, etc.,will love you as much as a younger
one, illness are more serious, time to research medical problems &
behaviour matters, will sit on your lap to be cuddled, can you deal with
losing the ferret despite your efforts and over three years old should
have blood glucose test.  Sure many can add to this.

Debbie