From:
"Marlene B., Richmond Ferret Rescue" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:08:37 EDT
I used to work as a vet tech at a clinic where they performed cremations
for other clinics as well as their own.  There aren't many clinics who
can perform this service.

Yes, they do grind up any large pieces of bone- the fire temperature
sometimes isn't hot enough to consume everything.  And, unfortunately,
there is usually more than one pet cremated at one time.  The clinic I
worked for used a "pie pan" kind of crematorium- there was a large round
metal pan that was divided into sections for different animals.

The cost of cremation isn't cheap- which was why the clinic usually
cremated only once a week (they also had to follow city regulations).

I'm sorry that your little guy wasn't returned to you in the way you
were expecting, but instead of venting anger at the clinic, couldn't
you use this energy to a better end, like volunteering your services
in your ferret's name at ANY local shelter?  ALL shelters, be they cat,
dog, ferret or any creature, can always use help.

Please don't take offense at my suggestion- I can understand your loss
only too well.  I'm a director for a shelter where we have 4 "branches",
2 for adoptions and 2 for "special needs".  I operate one of the special
needs branches, and it doesn't matter how many times you've been through
it, or how many you've lost.  The pain of losing a ferret for any reason
always brings tears.  To me, it doesn't matter if the lost ferret was a
"personal" or a shelter kid.  I cry over all of them.  I ask my vet
often, "Does it ever stop?  Will I ever get used to losing one of these
guys?" And his answer is always, "No.  It never stops.  And if it does,
you shouldn't be a shelter."

I am sorry, again, for your loss.  But make something constructive of
your ferret's life, not an argument after he's gone.

By the way, I bury all of our shelter ferrets- I'm fortunate to own
3 acres, and the other 3 "branches" bury their kids, also- We did
accidently have one cremated- we take most of our deceased guys in for a
post - and the vet accidently had one cremated- he was in such a panic
that he'd cremated "the wrong one" - we had two there having posts- One
was to be returned to their owner.  Thankfully, the cremated ferret was
our shelter guy- who was returned to us for burial after his unplanned
cremation.  Boy, was our vet ever apologetic!)

Try to hug your ferrets every day, even if they don't like it! <g>

Marlene B.
www.rfrl.net
(expecting flames, but what the hell...)