Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:05:00 EST
Hi everyone.

I thought (yeah, I know thats what I get for thinking) that now that we had
our last adrenal kid in for surgery, that things would be better......the
last adrenal boy, Matt, is a 5-6 year old that was running loose in Hanover
County.  We called him Matt because of the 6 or 7 large matts that he had
in his hair.....anyway, the tumor was a leftie, but the biggest I have ever
seen!  (My vet saves them for me - I think to gross out my SO heeheehee)
The tumor was the size of a quarter around and about the same height!  It
had attached to his renal vein, but the vet was able to get it all, so Matt
has a great chance at a full recovery....but I have digressed.....

The SPCA gave me a call....got one for you.  Went to pick him/her up, and
then found out "the rest of the story".  It seems that the lovely former
owner of this ferret decided to abandon the ferret in a cage in the wilds
of Newport News park!  On top of that, there were *two* ferrets in the
cage, but only one was still alive....no food, no water, no bedding...

Thankfully, it appears that the deceased ferret died of exposure or
starvation.  We questioned (okay interrogated) the poor A/C officer to make
sure it wasn't disease (like distemper) that had killed the ferret.  The
description that they gave seemed to be of a healthy looking, but dead
ferret.  No discharge, no swelling, no open wounds....the other ferret is
remarkably healthy and young - based on his teeth, I am estimating his age
at about 9 months.

SO...the remaining ferret is looking for a new name......the obvious were
thrown out, Lucky, Chance, etc.......we are considering Ranger because of
his location and circumstance..description of the little one is: male,
heavy silver mitt, pink nose.  No discernible tattoes, so I am thinking PV.
He is the sweetest boy you could imagine - and I can't imagine what these
ferrets could have possibly done to deserve the fate their "owners" had
left them to: Starvation, dehydration and death from exposure.

He got his bath, ears cleaned, nails trimmed and will be in quarantine for
the next week (the SPCA had him in quarantine for the past 5 days) and
caught up on distemper before being available for adoption.

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
http: www.ferrethaven.org
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854