Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 15:15:05 -0500
Fellow FMLers...

Ok I am not going to take sides in this whole debate BUT I have run a
Ferret Rescue for over 12 years now and I have had to set limits as to
the numbers I can hold and care for. I now have 8 and that is about my
comfort level at present. I am recuperrating from a very extensive foot
and ankle re-construction surgery last October. Hey remember folks I
am 62 now...Not 50 like when i first started doing this ok?? Been with
Ferrets now for just over 14 years... But as much as I love them.. And
as much as I want to help them...there is a limit and I know it has
been reached.

I do play with all of my fuzzers. If I get too many of them I can't do
what needs to be done on a daily basis. Now yes I agree with Danee on
the limits and what needs to be done. She breeds some very beautiful
babies and she makes sure she has homes for all of hers.. Some folks
are on a list as I understand it...waiting... BUT yes due to the big
farms and the pet stores...Folks buy them cute lil kits but then when
they turn into big frets and need to go to the vets...need special
treatments, or meds ect ect etc.....They want to dump them cos the
"cuteness" is gone. As I think Sinclair Louis once wrote... The only
trouble with a kitten is that....It soon grows up to be just a cat!!!
The same thing with frets folks... Thats what I have against the pet
stores. My newest rescue is a lil very loveable very neat lil sable
mitt. I went down to the Long Valley Ag. Station in California back
in September and picked her up as the folks who had her...who were
relocating to Oregon folks... Gave her up when they went thru the "bug"
Station over the Nevada /California line on North 395. Why they gave
her up is a mystery tome but then I have a very sweet lil girl as a
result...BUT she is another mouth to feed... another lil butt to clean
up after, and future med bills....because someone thought she was a
cute kit....Which I am sure she was....(LOL). But they gave her up at
a drop of the hat!!! What is wrong with that picture folks???

Ferrets are not for everyone...we all know that. But why is it up to a
handfull of folks to try to give a good forever home to the ones that
are discarded? We live in a throwaway society folks. I am sorry it has
come to that but we throw away even our childern...WHy should ferrets
be different? MY hat is off to all of you good folks out there that
shelter/rescue. You are like me. We do it all for one reason... The
love of the breed, Yes I am a Weaselman.. A crazy bit unstable
weaselman to some...(LOL..Hello Renne!!!) but none the less a
weaselman... and for some unfathomable reason... Proud of that fact..
RLOL. SO yes if you run a Shleter/Rescue...I salute you and want you to
know I am one of you too.... Do it and be proud all of you Weaselfolks
out there.. Hug them Squeezeables.... But yes we too need limits for
the good of the breed.....Best to all

Fred Hurd
Reno Ferret Rescue

After All It Is For The Ferrets!!!!