From:
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 1996 22:34:43 -0700
>From:    Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Distemper warning
>There is no treatment, it is always fatal.

Not true.  There have been ferrets successfully treated and cured of
distemper.  BUT it is extremely expensive and not all survived with the
treatment.  Some folks who don't know claim these ferrets are "carriers" but
that is also untrue.  They've been tested.  Also extremely expensive.

Treatment is a transfusion of a serum made from the blood of well vaccinated
ferrets.  The Armishaws of FURO provided ferrets for the treatments.

We though still strongly recommend vaccination with Fervac-D as the best
preventative.  Galaxy-D might work but has not been tested on ferrets except
anecdotaly.  The disease is still ravaging and extremely painful for the
ferres even if successfully treated.

>From:    Bryan Hall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets (sadly) for sale
Lack of dooking does not mean depression.  What you described sounds more
like ferrets becoming accustomed to a new home and growing up a bit.  I
certainly wouldn't recommend selling ferrets in your situation.  Unless
there is some other reason.

>From:    "Tim C. Watson" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: latest word on descenting?
We do not recommend descenting.  Strongly.  Except in cases of medical
problems or bad behavioral problems (constant "poofing").

I've asked Sally Heber of the AFA to send me an "official AFA position"
on this and will post it after I get it.

>From:    "Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: vet answers
>Now the hard answer to why tumors are not as common in the United Kingdom,
>Australia, etc.  We don t know why.  One theory touted is that the early
>spay/neuter that occurs in the USA is responsible.  Lately that has fallen
>from favor and more is being blamed on genetics.  Most ferrets in the USA
>are from Marshall Farms (a ferret breeding/ marketing company) and the
>progenitor stock is restricted.

If this is the case we should be seeing a drastic reduction in the cancers
showing up.  Marshall Farms imported a large number of English ferrets a few
years ago to refresh their genetic pools.  With the number of ferrets they
have I question the restricted nature of their genetic pool as well.  They
have more breeding ferrets in their possession than all of the hobby
breeders I know combined.  Hobby bred ferrets are not always well tracked as
far as pedigrees.  I've been building a largish database of backgrounds and
see much more in-breeding than I would expect out of Marshall.  I tend to
suspect environment is a major contributor to the medical problems.  Kibbled
processed food, un-natural lighting, human chosen temperature ranges and
other problems in being in houses are definitely things to consider.

>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Fender is gone.
>Today I had to have Fender put to sleep.

I understand how you must feel.  I recently lost my Furball.  Certain
ferrets just are special.  Our condolences.  Also our condolences as always
to all folks who've lost ferrets.

>From:    "Linda E. Langve" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: MF ferrets
>I'm a human owned by a Marshall Farms ferret and I was wondering how MF
>operates.

You already know eveything you'll know about the specific background for
your ferret.

Once they are removed for altering they no longer keep track of parents.
They keep their ferrets by building.  Very little specific information is
kept on ferrets beyond age and building.  They practice no-specific breeding
that might cause a line-breeding but no-one knows.  This isn't a horrible
practice - rather common in large agricultural type breeding.

There isn't any real difference between ferrets destined for labs and those
destined for pet stores.  "Pretty" colors are probably more likely to go as
pets since labs don't care about color.

MF ferrets are great pets.  Better than most hobby breeders as far as
temperament.  I strongly disapprove of the age of altering and descenting
but they are forced to these practices by the desires of customers.

>From:    Laura Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Too many tail questions
>There is a ring of thinning fur, not quite where the tail joins the body.
>It's noticeable because the tail fur above and below it look pretty normal.
>The underside of his tail has that orangey color to it.

This sounds like seasonal hair loss.  Orange is actually the hair coming
back in.  Sables show as blue.

>From:    Katherine Kuckens <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Taking a weasel walk
>Or do you have them on leashes all the time?

My opinion.  Yes.

>From:    sheena staples <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Obscure ferret references
Anybody remember the boy ferret keeper as the bad guy for sending his
ferrets in after "The Borrowers"?

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
<http://www.zenferret.com/>