From:
Mary McCarty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 13:41:58 -0800
>While I am glad to hear the ferrets were well cared for, I cannot
>condone her allowing others to bear the burden of her decision.  The
>ferret shelter community must now pay the costs of caring for her
>ferrets.

Breeders should never burden the shelter community.  This is why you
should not breed in a vacuum.  You network with other breeders, you have
breeding partners, you have friends who can help when you get into a
bind.  Did this person try all her former clients?  Her friends?  Any of
the local breeders in MI?  Situations like this highlight why networking
is so important.

If a breeder is in trouble, I would certainly hope they would reach
out to their friends and other breeders first, instead of just adding
unnecessary burdens to the already stressed seams of the ferret shelter
community.  The breeding community can help relieve the burden from the
shelter community.

>Will she decide in a year or two that she wants to breed again
>and start the cycle over?  Will people quietly take care of it

That is the first thought that came to my mind.

>Does no one remember Diane Bachman?  A few people quietly

As one of the shelters who helped clean up the 1998 breeder dump by
Bachman, I was appalled that she started breeding again.  I was appalled
that people actually helped her by taking in her chosen breeders and
then gave them back to her to start up breeeding again.  This is called
enabling and it's not healthy.  I was not at all surprised when the other
rescue needed to be done.

>I think the ferret community should know the name and location of this
>breeder, so we can be on our guard to prevent a repeat situation.

Absolutely.

Mary

Novel Beginnings Ferretry
http://www.geocities.com/novelbeginnings/