From:
Carol Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:33:18 -0700
My first one belonged to my oldest son, married at the time.  His wife
had them previously and someone gave her one he had to get rid of.  So
they made a tiny cage of hardware cloth.  Their apartment allowed "caged
animals."  Well, we know how that is.  I could see it needed a better
cage so bought a real, better cage for Rikki.  She was a tiny little
girl, very sweet.  After said son divorced he decided to join the Air
National Guard and went for training in Texas.  So I got to take care of
Rikki.  And I kept her.  It was then the light bulb shone and ferret
math struck.  I started scanning the classifieds and it wasn't long
before I got a free ferret, a large sable girl with no name.  I called
her Lisa.  Then one I had to pay for, Baby.  Then I was at the Humane
Society looking for a cat that disappeared (due to some nasty neighbors)
and the was Phillip the Phine Pherret.  I asked how much- $10  Oh but
would I pay 20?  Of course.  He was the sweetest boy, and stong, he would
take the large size Kong toy from the dog, grag it with his jaw in the
open end and run it down the hall and under the bed.

Sadly, Rikki got outside one summer not to be found and there was a
terrible thunderstorm that caused flooding.  She was the only one I've
ever lost and not found.  There were a few more I got from a barn cheap
and then two more I just had to take away from horrible conditions even
knowing I was going to be moving across country soon.  I made the trip to
Tucson with seven ferrets in the middle of summer, and realized along the
way that they all were getting along in ferret years.

They have all gone to the bridge now and have been replaced by many more.
Seven of the ferrets I have here are ours and varying numbers belong to
Ferret Friends to be adopted and there are three that board with me.

If you have just a few and have room in your heart for more it isn't hard
to find them.  Just start fostering and rescuing.

Carol Owens,
Ferret Friends, Inc.,
Tucson AZ