From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 1995 21:24:16 -0400
Hi all, just a posting about litter training and the adaptability of these
little guys.

Just to give a background, adopted a little fuzzy who was 7 months old when
I got her.  She was not litter box trained at all.  She had been going on
pine chips in one corner of her cage.  The original parents tried
everything to get her to use her box.  She would flip it over, they tied it
to the corner of the cage, she would empty it, they would re-fill it.
Needless to say, it was quite frustrating for the original parents.

I had already owned another little guy, he came litter box trained, got him
at 7 months old too.  He was now at the time of the adoption of the other one
approximately one years old.

Upon introducing them, they both immediately fell in love with each other.
I had no problems at all introducing her into her new home.

I set up boxes for when they are running loose.  But, would keep them in
their separate cages because I didn't want to "untrain" him and she would
not use his box, but when she was loose, she would use the boxes I had out.
Go figure, she wouldn't dump them or anything.

I replaced her pine chips with plain newspaper.  Then, after a while, I put
cat litter in the corner of the cage.  This worked also, she would go in the
corner but not play with the litter at all.

Finally, approximately a month ago, I put them in his cage together.  He
used his box, then she used the box.  I guess he must have showed her where
he goes?  They've been moved to one cage since, no spills, no accidents at
all.  I don't know what I did right or wrong, but I think it helped to move
her completely out of her cage with the soiled corner.  My biggest fear was
that she would start using the corner of his cage and then he would follow
suit.  Boy was I wrong!  It never ceases to amaze me how wonderfully smart
these fuzzies are!

SS