From:
zoosferretsanctuary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 2009 21:38:14 -0500
In over 11 years of rescue & sanctuary work, we have never felt the
need to do this, but we are blacklisting a greedy, uncaring vet in
South Beloit, Illinois.

10 days ago, we got a call from Beth Randall of Critter Camp. She had
received a tearful phonecall from a ferrent with a little girl in
trouble. The woman didn`t know what to do. Her ferret was in severe
pain, and was dying.

Apparently, the tiny ferret had experienced a drastic weight loss, in
the last two days. She completely lost her appetite, was lethargic,
and was vomiting. Her abdomen was HUGE.

The woman & her hubby didn`t have much money, but they took their sweet
Farrah to a South Beloit vet, who advertized $25.00 office calls.

The vet told the couple that Farrah had an intestinal blockage, but
that he wouldn`t touch her, until an ultrasound was done---and BTW it
would cost $1500.00 in cash, up front. (Then, of course, there would
be the co$t of the surgery.)

The couple asked if he would take payments. The answer was no.

The couple had begged the Beloit vet to please just skip the
ultrasound & do the surgery. He refused, sending that little ferret
away to die...

Farrah was in extreme pain, and they were beside themselves :( They
took her home, tried to give her lax--and called Beth. They didn`t
want Farrah to die. Beth called us.

I had the wife meet me at our vet`s office. (The office closed at 6pm,
and we both arrived there at 5:50) The girl was signing the surrender
form, as we were whisking the little silver blaze off to surgery.

Bar none, this was the most involved surgery for blockage that I have
ever seen. There was a large foreign body in the intestine, and another
in the stomach. Lots of beautiful, detailed work. Surgery ended at
8:05. The whole staff stayed for this surgery, and did it cheerfully...
Our cost was just under $300.00.

They were appalled that any vet would charge $1500.00 for an
ultrasound. (We have paid as much as $300.00 in the past, but the one
we go to now only charges $75.00)

I don`t know anyone who could lay their hands on $1500.00 cash within
minutes. if there`s a blockage, every minute counts! This should have
come OUT!!!! (If you`re opening them up, you will see everything inside
of them. Why would an ultrasound even be necessary?)

It`s awful, but there are vets out there who count on the fact that you
love your pet SO MUCH that you`d do ANYTHING for them. Anything....and
they would send away an animal in horriffic pain, knowing the type of
death that would follow within hours. He didn`t even offer pain meds
for that little girl.

Thankfully, her mommy didn`t give up on her. Thankfully, she found Beth
Randall. Thankfully, OUR vets are gracious & caring--and stayed late to
save her life... Thankfully, it wasn`t too late for Farrah--although we
were pretty darned close...

Farrah had a pretty bumpy first three days, post-op, but she made it
through. Sweet little thing. She will be with us for another week. She
will then be fostered back to her ferrents, who love her very much. (I
do believe they have found a new vet though!! LOL)

BTW--When I was ranting to someone in Freeport about the "crooked"
vet, I was surprised to learn that she had a similar issue with them,
involving her bird, awhile back. This vet doesn`t deserve our ferret
business. Email us for his name. (I`m not sure if we`re allowed to
give names on this list.)

Love,
Zoo

ps- At a time when donations are at an all time low for ALL of us,
Beth Randall contributed $50.00 towards the care of this ferret. God
bless you, Beth.