From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 02:41:29 -0600
Hello Everyone,

What follows is some of my personal thoughts and beliefs of life, especially
involving my little beasties.  I fully believe in a strong interconnection
between men and animals and the earth.  All living things are connected and
interact with each other, in energies and in spirits.  And it may make the
curious understand just exactly why I have 37 animals in my house right now.

I don't know if it is my strong Scottish genes or growing up in Oklahoma
with a bunch of Native American friends.  But I do believe in working on
connecting to the earth and to animals for personal health.  I don't see
how anyone who is cute off from the earth or from animals can be healthy.
So when someone recently teased a little about angels and ferrets, I
grinned.  Yep, I will say out loud that I certainly believe in something
like angels.  Of course, you can give the energy a lot of differing names
and make it acceptable to yourself.  Even if it is our own higher selves.
And I swear the animals are tied into that energy somehow.  Especially the
ferrets.

They are bright warm little souls who are very special.  They have special
form and personalities.  And my ferrets, more so than the cats or the dogs,
are tied into my feelings, even subtle differences that do not seem to
register with the other animals will cause reactions in the ferrets.  They
are certainly guided by something.  And I chose to believe it is angels.

Get on the floor and wrestle with the ferrets, go out and grub in the dirt,
walk in the sun, and notice the land around you. It does cause a great
connection. Walk on grass with bare feet. It will help.

And from my own beliefs, I also am convinced of my own ability to work with
animals.  I have a gift of it, I can put them at ease and work with the
abused ones.  I have been told by several folks that they are convinced of
it.  One told me I can become a ferret and communicate with them.  May
sound strange to say it outloud, but 'tis true.  I just listen real closely
to them.

And as much as they all love playtoys and new bigger cages, and new things
and smells, what they all want more than anything is time with you.  They
are in your life for a reason, and they love their humans.  They can bring
us joy and peace and they can shut out the modern world for a while.  That
is their jobs here and they are happy emotionally when they can do it.  Of
course, I think I am the happiest when I have ferrets setting on my head,
climbing in my lap and licking my nose and eyes and ears.  I feel centered
and rejuvenated at these times.  It is a wondrous thing.

Go give them babies hugs and play with them.

love,

Margaret