From:
Nemecheks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 06:27:08 -0600
I just wanted to make a comment on shelters.  I bought my ferret after
talking to shelters, from a pet store.  After my experience with a shelter
I think those of you out there running one should take into consideration
your adoption rules.  Every shelter out in Illinois states that small
animals will not be adopted out to families with kids under 6.  I think
this is the most absolutely ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  I have
had my ferret, Nikki, for a year now, and my kids are 4 and 2.  (they
were 3 and 1 when I got Nikki ).  I understand why some families with
small kids shouldn't have ferrets or small animals.  Some people just
don't watch their kids enough to keep them from harming small animals.
But in the same token., how can a shelter just rule out all families with
small kids?  Nikki has never ever been hurt from my kids in the year I
have had her.  I told my children that they are not to ever take her out
of the cage, that only I do that.  they understand that Nikki is not to
be played with or touched with out me standing right next to them.  Again,
I have never had a problem.  I wanted to rescue a ferret from a shelter.
I contacted every shelter I could, and they all said the same thing...no
small kids.  I just really think that if you want to adopt these homeless
ferrets out, the small kids thing should be taken case by case, not just
rule out every family with small kids.  ( And it's not just ferret
shelters, dog shelters are the same.  Same thing happened when we got a
small dog, and he also in the last 2 years has never been hurt by the
kids )  Just remember that there are some families out there, like mine
that actually watch their kids and would be and are competent in operating
a home with both small animals and small kids.