From:
zoosferretsanctuary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:47:01 -0500
Inge, we share a very common bond. Our endless love of these precious
little creatures.

I don`t know why we do it. (Why do we breathe?)

There is almost no joy greater than seeing a sick fuzzy eat again,
for the first time--or seeing one who has been ill, dancing again, or
seeing one who brightens up after fluid therapy--or watching one who
gets out of quarantine, running with others for the first time. It`s
such a joy when a weak one feels strong in your arms again, and asks
to get down & play.

There is no bummer much worse than losing one, despite hours of lost
sleep, total commitment, and endless sacrifice.

I still miss babies we lost years ago. If they lived to be 20, it still
wouldn`t be long enough.

What keeps us ferret people going? Knowing that we have made a
difference in the life of each animal in our care. Helping to better
the life of each fuzzy who comes to us for help.

I am so sorry to read about all those little urns. I hope that when
you are ready again, you will take in another sweet little soul who
needs you. God knows there aren`t enough good humans to go around,
these days :(

Comforting hugs to you.

Much love, Zoo

ps--Our oldest resident was Old Charlie, who came to us at 10 years of
age. He had been kept outside in a rabbit hutch for his first 7 years,
and was moved into the garage, after his cagemate died. He had no
hammies, sleepysacks, blankies or toys. Just newspaper. He was being
fed cheap cat food. The owner was going to "just klunk him in the head"
because he was old. The daughter, who worked at our bank, asked her
dad to bring him to us. The poor ferret was adrenal, and we discovered
during surgery that he was also insulinomic. Old Charlie was with us
for three more years, on prednisolone--and on lupron after the disease
returned in the other gland within a year. He loved life so much. We
lost Old Charlie two months after his 13th birthday. Usually when we
lose one, it`s like losing a child--but when we lost Old Charlie, it
was like losing my grandfather. He was such a blessing. If there really
is a Rainbow Bridge, I would like nothing more than to hold him close
to me again one day, and kiss his sweet, sweet face.