From:
Ann Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2013 10:33:50 -0700
A Shelter Review

Sephy's Ferret Sanctuary was visited on August 4th2013. I have decided
to visit nearby shelters and make sure that if I had to refer them to
anyone that it would look favorably on my shelter. My mother always
said, "You lie down with dogs you wake up with fleas."

This shelter/sanctuary is run by Angela Showalter. She had been in the
hospital all day the day before with her brother so I was shocked she
didn't cancel. I walked up the walkway to Angela sitting out front with
a ferret that just passed. That alone was very impressive as I knew her
heart was into it as the tears fell down her checks. After we came in
and got the ferret wrapped up and Angela took me that she was
babysitting the ferret that passed I could see that even if a ferret
has been there for a short time she was emotionally attached. She went
about putting meds and soup together for her crew. She had a medicine
list that was current so that anyone could follow it in her absence,
nice to see. We walked back to the ferret rooms and there was already
groups out. One group was bouncing on a futon having a blast. She
passed meds and was glad to see names on cages. This was going to make
it easy to others to help when or if she needed it. The cages were
supplied with water bowls and bottles and food. The cage set-up was
age appropriate for each ferret that resided inside them. Accidents or
near misses of litter boxes were handed quickly and butt wiped linens
were replaced. We did take a break and that is when I noticed she was
smoking outside, not in the area with the ferrets. This was a pleasant
surprise as she has older ferrets with medical problems, some involving
their heart. Another pleasant surprise was seeing a younger ferret tear
up the cage and wanting picked up and she just picked him up, laughed
about the tore up cage, and fixed the cage, but not without giving the
mischievous boy a kiss. The floors were clean with very few misses
which we all know about only too well. I noticed her sleep areas for
the kids that were out were located in the closet where the doors were
open. This was a great idea as it was dark and very pleasant for a
ferret to snuggle down. She didn't rush playtimes and let them decide
for themselves. She also showed me educational information she provides
for the adopters and for the public. She was honest and very open to
the visit. I asked her questions and she answered them openly and
honestly.

I would rate her shelter a 10. Angela has a big heart and can easily
turn from one problem to another when it comes to the ferrets' welfare.
I wanted to write about this visit as I feel it is important for
shelters to inform other shelters as to the good and/or bad shelters in
their area. I have seen and taken pictures of a shelter in Ohio that
was horrible and I am glad to be able to turn around and write about a
Kentucky shelter/sanctuary that was on top. I have no problem saying
that I publicly endorse Sephy's Ferret Sanctuary. This is one of the
top shelters.

Sephy's Ferret Sanctuary is located in Louisville Kentucky
(502) 608-7790. Director is Angela Showalter.
They also have a facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/SephysFerretSanctuary

Ann's Ferret Shelter & Adoption Inc.
501(c)3 non-profit organization