From:
Amy and Dave Seyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 23:40:39 -0700
I and several other ferret shelters/contacts in the Northern VA area were
recently contacted by a couple who is going to have a baby and was looking
for a home to place them in for free.  I responded to the couple and cc'd
the others on the list.  It was requested that I forward my answer to you
all, to "give some people something to think about." I'm happy to entertain
questions, as are (I'm sure) other FMLers who've raised children with
ferrets.

----

DON'T GIVE UP YOUR FERRETS BECAUSE OF A BABY!!!

My husband and I just had our second child 2 1/2 months ago.  Our oldest is
2. We have FOUR ferrets and at one point it was five, and guess what --
   everyone adjusts, and better yet, gets along.

It's quite frustrating to me that people aren't even willing to give things
a chance to work out before assuming the worst.

My two-year-old daughter loves the ferrets and knows them all by name.  In
fact, NOW is when it's really heartwarming to watch her with them, since
she's finally old enough to play with them on her own.

Please, PLEASE, before you give up those fuzzies call me to find out more
about how ferrets and children CAN and DO work in a household.  I love my
ferrets with all my heart, and as I tell everyone, THEY were here FIRST!!

Amy Seyler

Amy, Dave, Sarah & Paul (and their gaggle of giggling ferrets)
RIP Ian, Elektra and Claudia