From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 07:58:43 -0700
From what I've been reading over the last few days, I think one thing is
being missed by a lot of people.

Every Animal Control / Humane Society in Every city in Every state is
different.  Their rules, who they work with or don't, whether they take
ferrets or not, everything, are governed by the laws of the city and
state in which they reside, and the particular persons running said
shelters.  What may be true where you are is not neccessarily true where
others are.

I am fortunate.  Nebraska seems to have rather good laws with regards to
animals.  And in Lincoln, the Humane Society not only takes in Ferrets,
but they are included in their daily advertising, and they have ferret
knowledgable personel, AND as a rule they do not euthanize ANY
"adoptable" animals.  They almost always keep them until they are
adopted.

I also find the hubbub over the OR "rescue" a little premature.  As was
pointed out, this didn't take place like other rescues have in the past.
It wasn't an issue of "we know this shelter is horrible, we have to do
something about it".  This shelter operator volunteered to give these
ferrets up, and it wasn't until they got there to take them that they saw
the conditions.  The shelter operator willingly gave the ferrets into
their care, and now the ferrets are safe and sound and getting the care
they need.

I actually see no reason for them to get there, then call the SPCA and
have the ferrets siezed and press charges, etc.  This shelter operator
knew she was in over her head, knew the ferrets were suffering, and
called Chris and Kristine to take the ferrets somewhere they WOULD get
care.  This doesn't sound like an uncaring, unfeeling monster, who
deserves to be behind bars, it sounds like someone who made a mistake
and was trying to ammend it.  And if the ferrets are being turned over
willingly, why then call someone and have them siezed??  That doesn't
even make sense.

The only reason to pursue this person legally would be if we wanted to
try to insure she didnt' start another shelter, but judging by the
circumstances, I actually view that as highly unlikely anyway.

Perhaps there were things which could have been handled differently by
all parties involved, but the thing to remember, I think, is that Chris
and Kristine now have many sick and/or malnourished ferrets in their
care, and if they ask for financial help, why would you punish those
ferrets for mistakes you think they might have made?

Melissa Kuzara
Mira, Robin, Nietzsche, O'Dell and Samurai
Missing Cael, Booboo and Tasha always