From:
Tabatha Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 19:51:56 -0600
Hello, I'm a little confused and need some personal experience from you.
My baby boy, now around 5 years, was really sick last week.  He had green
diaherra so bad it was complete liquid.  He has gotten over that now, but
I have noticed him sleeping in unusal places, behind the toilet, on the
bed - not in his blanket, just little things.  He was giving me kisses
the other day, and he had really bad breath.  He has never had bad
breath.  He has also lost some weight over the last week.

I got some Pedialyte and Gerber chicken stage 2.  Now I just got a new
fuzzies on Christmas eve.  I was looking online sunday and found
something called ECE (Epizootic Catarrhal Enteritis).  This sounded
exactly like what he had and with the new fuzzy it made sense.

I called the vet today, okay more like 7 of them, because all of the
sudden the ferret doctors have quit the local vets or are on vacation.
I finally found one and took him there today.  They did a fecal and
blood test and its turns out he has Insulinoma.

They said his glucose level was at 40 and should be at 80.  They gave me
medication that i have to give him twice a day for the rest of his life.
Now this is where I get confused.  She did tell I should have him
rechecked in about a week.  But that surgery isn't a good option because
the tumors are pinpoint small and you will never get them all so meds
are the best way to go.  I get home and was reading up from
ferret-universe.com.  On there it says that surgery is the first and
for most important thing to do.  Medication only help treat it somewhat
and will never really make him better.  Please someone give me the right
thing to do and any info or experiences are extremely welcome.

Thanks,
Tabatha & Ron, and the Zoo