From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 1995 12:41:38 -0400
Debbie Riccio wrote, about edging wire cages:
> [...] have a separate piece of plastic that you fasten on to the
> right side of the plastic covers so it keeps your paper nice and
> neat. [...]  This same fastening piece will fit nicely over the
> edges of your cage door openings so as they go in and out...

Yep, those worked well for us, too.  To keep them attached, you can
"sew" them on with lengths of electrical wire or use a hot-glue gun to
put a thin line of glue down the middle before attaching them.

Nancy Silverman wrote:
> MANY thanks to everyon who responded about the fold-up cages ... I
> will be checking into all recommendations!

If you're feeling handy, there are directions for building a big
fold-up cage at Ferret Central, in the Equipment How-To Photos.

Laila Rigdon asked:
> I want to know what I can use to get rid of fleas on her and in the
> house.

Use products with pyrethins, not carbamates, organophosphates, or
petroleum distillates.  Things safe for kittens should be okay.  See
Section 9.5 of the FAQ for more information.

Linda Doran asked:
> A couple of times in the past two weeks or so, I have found my
> little Angel so deeply asleep that she is completely limp

That's perfectly normal, especially for a young ferret -- or one who's
been exhausted by a day at the County Fair, as both of ours were this
weekend. :-)  (They behaved themselves perfectly and were wonderful
ferret ambassadors.)

Kenneth Fisher wrote:
> We tried given them both 'Deli-Cat' cat food in place of Ferrret food
> (when we ran out and couldn't get to a pet store), and their stools
> changed color and almost looked bloody to me!

I'm not familiar with Deli-Cat, but the red stools were probably from
dye in the food.  If your ferrets are happy with ferret food, and the
food has enough protein and fat, there's nothing wrong with it.

Heather Moore wrote:

> I've been reading about several products on the FML - ferretone,
> nutrical, linatone, laxatone,etc.

Laxatone and Petromalt are cat hairball remedies, basically just petroleum
jelly (e.g., Vaseline) with flavoring.  Ferretone and Linatone are oily
vitamin supplements, very similar to each other.  Nutrical is a high-calorie
supplement generally given to ferrets who need to gain weight or are
refusing to eat.  If you feed your ferret a high-quality kitten or ferret
food, give her 1/4 to 1/2 an inch of one of the hairball remedies every few
days (more during shedding season or if she's been chewing on something she
shouldn't).  You don't need to give her any vitamin supplements, but you can
give her a few drops daily of one of the 'tones as a treat, or if her coat
starts to look dry.  Don't bother with Nutrical unless a vet recommends it.

- Pam Greene
Ferret Central<http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/central.html>
No WWW?  Use anon FTP to ftp.optics.rochester.edu and look in pgreene/
  or send GET ANSWERS PACKAGE FERRET in email to <[log in to unmask]>