From:
Jim Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 07:27:39 -0800
We were in a local pet store (Pet Quarters) this weekend getting a
stronger leash for our new dog (Weimaraner), and decided to check and
see if they had any ferrets.

The ferret cage had a hammock in the top level, nothing covering the wire
floors, but they use a good litter.  (S'wheat) (sp)

In the hammock, were (3) tiny babies; a sable female and what appeared
to be (2) blaze males.  One just had a little spot of white between his
ears, so not sure if he will be a true blaze or not.

The true blaze, we were warned was a "biter".  What better way to check
their teeth, than to have one latch onto a finger?  I picked him up, and
yes he likes to use his teeth.  The only problem with that, is his teeth
were so tiny!!  (and sharp)!

The pseudo-blaze, had a little better teeth, maybe 1 week older, but
still (IMO) baby teeth.

The little female, still had the remnants of her surgical stitch.  (had 2
scabs where stitch was)

A report was made this am to the state Animal Welfare office, and they
said they would send the inspector out to check it out.  Not sure how
much good that will do, as he admitted to me last time I made a
complaint, that they are not sure what to look for.  I have it on good
authority that they were given "training" on what to look for, by the
vet who was instrumental in getting the law passed here in the state.

I am trying to get some training set up for the managers of the "bigger"
pet stores, but am getting some resistance since I am trying to get
everyone together at the same time.  Dr. Sandra Kudrack has volunteered
to come up and give the class, but when you are trying to get competitors
together in the same room, it's hard.  Still working on it!!

I would urge anyone in Maine, that sees under-age ferret kits in your
local pet store, to call the State Animal Welfare office at 207-287-3846
and lodge a formal complaint.

If you're not sure if they are under-age, make the complaint anyway and
let the state at least check it out.  Or email me, and if it's feasible,
I will go and take a look at them, and I will make the complaint.

We can't hope to get the state to enforce the law, if they don't know
about the under-age kits still being brought into the state.

It would be a shame to have had so many people work so hard on getting
this law passed, and then not do our part to help police the pet stores.

Ferret Rescue of Maine
A State licensed, 501c3 Non-profit shelter.
Donate to shelter ferrets by clicking
igive.com/from