From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 00:08:40 -0400
Condolences to those with lost, sick, or angeled slipper filchers...

(See?  I *told* you it wasn't a "real" rabbit!)

Eric:

Though you will get lots of replies (I hope!) from lots of people, and
though most of them will tell you that a fan won't work with a ferret
because they don't sweat, etc., let me tell you that fans *do* work.  I
won't have an air conditioner in my house (OK, I got one, but it's sitting
on the love seat.  Anyone want it?  Come get it for free!).

The idea here, isn't to blow air on the ferret.  That isn't where a fan
does its best work.  Instead, you have to keep the temperature in the
room down.  If possible, you can keep the temperature in the entire house
down, just by using a couple of fans and some intelligent planning.

First, locate windows facing a shady portion of the house.  Make sure that
you have screens (in good repair) in each of these windows and open then.
Now, find windows on the hottest side of the house.  Next, get fans that
will fit into those windows (you can get away with only one window, if
necessary).  Remove the screen(s) if there are any.  Put the fan(s) in the
window(s), facing out, then get an old sheet, curtain, or even a shirt,
if necessary, and tack it over any open areas.  This keeps the flies out!
Be sure to cover all openings around the sides of the fan(s).

Turn the fans on high.  The fans will begin pulling the cooler air from
the shady side, into the house.  The warm air in the house will be pulled
out by the fans that are blowing out of the hot-side windows.  You start
an air current this way, that pulls in cool air, exhausts hot air and
keeps the temperature down.

Pennsylvania had one of its hottest summers on record, last year.  My
ferrets made it through just fine.  I have a total of four fans--one
blows out and two circulate air in the room where they all stay.  The
last one sits on the floor up in Taz's room, because he loves to lay in
front of it! :)

One tip--get fans that have removeable grills.  Clean the grills at least
once per month, as dust build-up means the fan works harder and can
over-heat.  It also reduces the amount of air flow, which defeats your
purposes.

The best part of using fans, is that you can walk through your whole house
comfortably, while paying a lot less for electricity than those that pay
for A/C!

Todd and the Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!
---
mailto:[log in to unmask]