From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:05:36 -0500
>Don't they have chips that can be implanted in animals?  I seem to
>remember the vet saying something about it when our dog wandered off.
>(we got her back).  I have been thinking about researching a "Lojack"
>type device for the fuzzies.  Anyone else ever heard of this?

The thing about that is that rather than being a like an implantable chip
which is readable usually for only about a foot and sometimes a bit more,
a Lojack type device would require a hefty transmitter and energy source.
These have limited range and size frames, plus they heat up.  There are
ones for dog collars but they are too large and heavy for ferrets and
even then the range is low.  They have to be constantly going or
constantly listening for a signal to turn on and that means a lot of
battery weight since it is very energy expensive.