From:
Melanie Mullins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 07:51:41 -0400
>From:    Dan & Terri Scott <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: New to the list & answers for Mel's allergies
>Suggestions for Mel's allergies ( from a fellow sufferer):
>
>Have you considered an air cleaning machine with a Hepa filter for the
>ferret room?  Maybe that would help clear out the dust and dander that's
>giving you such a bad reaction.

I am in a the process of purchasing one.  I am going to be putting a few
through out the house.

>I notice in your post you said you "keep every thing aired out".  Are
>you opening the windows to do this?  My own personal experience has been
>that leaving the windows open makes my allergies worse!  Usually it's
>recommended to run the airconditioning and keep the windows closed to keep
>the air cleaner.

Yes I have been leaving the windows open that is what has been recommended
to me since I am only showing allergies to things in the house, pollen, old
growth, new growth and molds I don't have a problem with.  I feel better
being outside.  I will have to talk to my husband about putting an air
condition in the ferret room we don't have any air conditionors right now.

>What is in your ferrets cage?  Are there any cedar chips or other type of
>litter?  (I really doubt there is, if you are a regular reader of this
>list!  *G*) I know more than one person who thought they were allergic to
>their little caged pets only to discover it was actually the bedding.
>Also, regular clay cat litter and scoopable litter creates a palpable dust
>in the air that could be irritating.  Do you spray the ferrets with any
>type of deodorizer or coat conditioner?  I've tried several such products
>and a few of them made me sneeze.

I have them just in a wire two level cage with towels and hammicks to sleep
in and the corner litter boxes have wood stove pellets.  The room just has
a sandbox and some other towels and blankets and toys for them to play with
and of course more litter boxes.  When I air things out everything comes
out and gets shaken and washed.  No deodorizers or coat conditioners.  I
usually bath my babies once every 3 to 4 months but it has been close to 6
mounths right now do to my headaches.  I do use a filter mask when I am in
the ferret room.

>I hope you get to feeling better soon.  I understand how you feel!

Thanks Terri.

Mel