From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 12:02:58 -0500
Nope, no ferret wormers on the market.

That said, many of the cat and dog products can be used on ferrets.
Since they aren't labelled for ferrets, though, you will need to find
out the correct doses.  Personally, I don't trust the over-the-counter
stuff (look at the recent Hartz debacle), so I get them from my vet.
Your vet should also be able to find out appropriate doses for you.

I hope you're talking about intestinal worms.  Your vet should be able
to prescribe a few things to get rid of those.  Heartworms, on the other
hand, can't be treated in ferrets.  If your ferret gets those, the best
you can do is prevent the worms from reproducing and wait for the adult
worms to die on their own.  (1-2 years) Heartworm preventatives will stop
them from reproducing and will protect your ferrets from picking up new
heartworms.  It's a very good idea to have them on preventatives
constantly.

Your vet will also be able to run tests for both types of worms to
confirm whether or not your ferrets have them.  Taking them to your vet
would be my suggestion.

roger & the wolverine wannabees
missing bear