Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 09:31:53 -0400
"Caryn K. Heffner" <[log in to unmask]>  wrote on 5/24/2005, 6:12 AM:
>I think it would be much more effective to go right to the manufacturer
>of these treats.....for all we know they are unaware of the fact that
>sugary treats are bad.  We need to make a statement to them, to bombard
>them with letters to stop the manufacturing of these treats.

You are correct that the manufacturers also need to hear from us, and
the IFC will also be contacting them and requesting that they reconsider
the products they manufacture.  But, even if every member of the FML
wrote to them, it is likely that would not make much difference.
Although we are a large group, we probably represent less then 1% of
the ferret owners in the US.

In business, money talks.  And who has more sway with manufacturers -
2500 FML readers, or the major retail store chains and Internet
suppliers.  My guess is that the major chains and Internet suppliers are
going to have a lot more influence then the FML subscribers.

That doesn't mean that concerned ferret owners should just sit back and
do nothing.  Writing to places like Kaytee and 8 in 1 is a very good
thing to do.  But again, the current circulation of the FML is at 2502,
and that is a minute fraction of the ferret owners in the US.  I assume
that most of us already don't buy these types of items, because we know
they are unhealthy for our kids, so they aren't depending on our dollars
anyway.

--
Danee
International Ferret Congress Health Issues Coordinator