Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 00:00:23 -0800
Wayne & Nancy Wellington wrote:
>So we called the police to file assault charges, the police talked to
>her, and came out laughing and said there was nothing that they could do
>because there is a sign on the door that says, "No cameras, no video
>recording devices of any kind allowed in store" And since she warned me
>there was no picture taking allowed she had all the right to assault us!

That absolutely is not true.  Assault of any kind is illegal in the state
of Nevada.  Period.  If that is what the police told you, (Which I really
doubt) you need to go in and talk to the shift sergeant and if that fails,
go directly to the District Attorney's office and file a formal complaint
there.

The most the store owner can do to you for using your camera, is to ask you
to leave.  They cannot use force in any manner unless you initiate force.
The law in Nevada does not permit a private individual or business to
forcibly evict anyone.  I once took into custody a shoplifter and in the
process, broke his back and his arms.  (He pulled a knife on me) At his
trial, his defense tried to make out that **I** initiated force, as then
his client would not be guilty of assault with a deadly weapon.  BTW, he
was sent to prison for 20 years...he was a three time loser.  (Before the
3 time loser laws) They MUST call the police to do so.  Nevada law I know.
Las Vegas follows the same rules we in Reno do.  With that in mind, make
sure you go to small claims court to recover the cost of repairing or
replacing your camera.  It was broken illegally.  (I do hope you wrote
down the other lady's name and address, you are going to need it.)

As for Animal Control, they MUST follow through on each and every complaint
they receive.  Make them follow through if they don't.  Calling them does
nothing.  You MUST file a written complaint for action to be taken.  With
Animal Control, a written, mailed in complaint will suffice..going to
Animal Control and filing in person is much better.

If it seems like a bother, remember those ferrets, and all the other
animals, they are dependent on your following through!

MC, The Rude One
(With Snorkle, Tuzigoot, and Bancho.  In spirit, Bubba, Billy-Bob, and
Garret)

[Hey Bill...how'd you like how I got a ferret into the post?  <GRIN>]