From:
"Anna M. Adam" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 1995 23:07:47 -0500
Okay folks, here some useless facts for you... As you may or may not know, I
have been working on putting together a list of names of ferrets. The
additions to the list have slowed to a trickle so I feel it's safe now to
give you some useless information...

There are 149 owners with a total of 529 ferrets. For those of you who don't
want to do the math, that averages to about 3.6 ferrets a person. I'm kinda
grossed out about all of you with half a ferret running around. Of the 529
ferrets, 265 are females, 249 are males, 15 are unknown... I usually wrote
back to the owner and asked the sexes but I started getting so swamped with
mail I figured I correct it later. I think it's pretty nifty that if all the
unknowns turned out to be male, we'd be split nearly fifty/fifty here.

The most popular name on this list is Bandit with seven ferrets holding that
name. There is also a Bandita if you want to include her. Other popular
names include Baby (4),  variations on Bear (two Bears, a Bearsley Magoo,
Smokey Bear, and two Teddy Bears), variations on Maggie (two Maggies and a
Maggie Mayhem), Max (3), Misty (4),  variations on Nikkie (Nik, Nikita,
Nikita Bratski, Nikkei, 5 Nikki's, a Nikki Lee, and 1 Niko), Rascal (3),
Sebastian (3), Shadow (4, and one of those four is an albino!), Slinky (4),
Smokey (2, not including Smokey Bear mentioned earlier), and variations on
Stink (3). There were alot of names that were doubled so I won't mention all
of them.

The most common TYPE of name would be the stereotypical ferret personality
names, Bandit, Snitch, Mischief, Mayhem, Chaos, Havoc, Total Disaster,
Pandemonium... you get the idea. On the flip side, Debbie Riccio had names
like Angel, Halo, and Heaven.

The longest names belonged to Stella Bobell McMousechild, and Baron Von
Dudley d'Ferret, both of which made me have to modify the structure of my
database to make room for their names. The shortest names all belonged to
the same person. They were CJ, RJ, and BJ.

I thought is was amusing the Irene PLITZ and Kathy FRITZ both had ferrets
named Buddy. I think we have one owner that was kinda hungry when she named
her ferrets... Heather Bilicki gave four names: Pretzel, Twinkie, Kit Kat,
and Pickle. We have a ferret named after a tranquilizer (Xanex), as if
ferrets are any but tranquil. We have a ferret named after a vending machine
tea found in Japan (Pekoe). Another unusual name was ANSI.SYS and yes, it's
supposed to be in all caps, M.Q. Pippin told me so!

We also had a couple of sports ferrets, Rockets and Magic. YEA ROCKETS!!!
Needless to say, those two did not have the same owners. :)

The winner for the most names contributed goes to Kathy Fritz with 42 names!
Troy Eckart came in second with 31. The least contributed goes to Eric
Beckstead with ZERO. Actually, I'm kidding. While printing up the list
(which took 8 pages in very tiny print), I realized I had an owner number
with no ferrets. Don't worry Eric, I see I remembered you and not your
kids... the correction will be made on the next update.

Well, that's about it. I couldn't possibly list all the unusual and original
names I've found. Just wanted to give you guys a little statistics on the
list. Enjoy!!

~ahn (owner number one)