From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 1996 08:14:42 -0500
I hate to be a wet blanket here, especially since I used to give my ferrets
fruit for treats, but fruit and cereal really isn't good for ferrets!

I wouldn't think that popcorn would have any more fiber than grapes,
watermellon, peaches, apples, bananas, etc - but some of you scientific
people might have more insight to that than I do.

I give my ferrets BABY FOOD for a treat!  They think it's great and it's
pure protein (as long as you give them chicken or turkey and not bananas and
rice!).  Chicken or turkey BF is different from their regular diet, it's
pure protein, it's healthy, contains no fiber whatsoever, and it gets them
used to eating it in case you *need* to give it when they're sick.

I use a few drops of Ferretone or Linatone on the belly for nail clipping,
and 1 raisin for ear cleaning - so they get 1 raisin once a month.

Since cereal is made from wheat, oats, rice, etc, it's nothing but fiber
and sugar!  That's not a very healthy treat for a ferret IMO.

My very first ferret, Mickey, is the only one that ever required teeth
cleaning - and he ate the most fruit and raisins!

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY