From:
Stephanie Gilbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 05:23:26 -0800
Last night, I let my 3 babies out late to have some fun ferret play time.
They were full of pent up energy and bouncing around more than I've ever
seen before.  Even my little Vera was bouncing, and she hardly ever
bounces with the boys.  Maybe it was because of all this bouncing that
the events later that night happened.  I don't know.

Anyway, so, the ferrets were out and about playing and having a good ole
time.  Some nights I'll let the ferrets spend the night outside the cage
in my room (it's pretty well ferret-proof, and there's lots of cozy spots
for them to sleep).  Last night, I let them have some free roam time
while I tried to nod off to Dreamland.  I had to get up and put Noodle
back in the cage after about an hour or more because he began scratching
on the carpet.

Then my little girl Vera got up on the bed and began licking my ears
(she sometimes acts as my alarm clock at 5 am).  Anyway, Vera is the
most kissy ferret I've ever met...and the best ear-cleaner in the world.
She had just stuck her nose in my ear (I was about 2 seconds short of
Dreamland) when all of the sudden I heard a loud "HIISSSSSSS".  Of
course, this brought me right back to reality, and I had to see why she
had hissed in my ear instead of gently licking it.  Lo and behold,
there's Chance trying to pull Vera by the scruff of the neck to wherever
he wanted he to go.  I picked him up by his scruff and when he let go of
the little girl, I put him on the floor.

I laid back down to drift off, and Vera began to lick my ears.  She was
being really gentle with her nibbling which made me think that somehow
she knew my earlobes were sore (I've recently began wearing earrings
again, and I'm still getting used to them).  So, anyway, she was giving
me the ear-cleaning of my life when all the sudden I felt another
presence on the bed.  Sure enough, Chance was back to get his sister.  Of
course, he grabbed her scruff at the precise moment she was nibbling my
sore earlobe, and she clamped down when he did that.  I had to wrestle
with both of them to free my ear from her grasp.  Finally, I had enough
and put both of them on the ground.  Let them fight it out amongst
themselves.  I wasn't going to be in the middle of it again.

I guess Chance won.  When I looked for them this morning, they were both
in one of my bureau drawers.  I wonder...did he drag her in there or did
she go willingly?  What a jealous boy!  He couldn't let me have any of
her attention, could he?

Stephanie Gilbert
dancing with 3, crying over 1

  Stephanie Gilbert * TriFL VP/Events Chair/Librarian
* work: (919) 962-1355
* http://www.trifl.org * http://Kittlen.tripod.com