Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 09:58:40 -0700
Hello Friends,

I have a situation with one of my ferrets that has me at a loss.  My 5 yr
old Male MF ferret was playing the other night and stopped suddenly in the
middle of the floor and (according to my 16 yr old who saw it) started
heaving like he had to throw up.  My son called me in there and when I got
in there Cinn was flat on the floor collapsed and drooling.  She was like
this about 1 or 2 mins and then we picked her up and she was exahusted.
for a half hour we held her and she just laid in our hands only moving her
head while we tried to contact a vet or someone to help.

We sat her on the floor when she perked up a little.  She ran about 3 feet
and did it again.  We got ahold of our friends who run a shelter and they
had us give some ferretlax and a little sugarwater.  We then jumped in our
car (this was at 10pm) and drove to Minnisota (2-3 hours) to get him to
her.  When we got there she was still very lethargic but she got ahold of
the food dish and ate, and ate and ate and ate for over 30 mins..but she
kept falling asleep with her head laying in the food bowl.  We would wake
her to see if she was alive and she would start eating again.  I left him
at the shelter with my friend so she could watch him and take him to the
vet we both use tommarow (the soonest we could get him in).  I had to come
home to be with my human kids as well as my other ferrets.  i am worried
sick about her, This was soooo scary!

Cinn has never been sick other than a virus, He has always been very
active, There was no injury that we know of and her blood was checked
last month and glucose and all was great.

The shelter mom messaged this morning that Cinn is perking up and playing a
little more today but that the day befor was bad, This is what she wrote

"Last night, I said that I thought that he may have insolumina that was
fast progressive.  Now, I'm not so sure it's just the suspicion of
insolumina.  The reason for this - 1) When I pick him up and out of the
warm and cuddly place that he tended to sleep in and put him on the bare
carpet to urge him to get around or go back to the sleeping spot.  He
didn't.  He just was more than happy to go back to sleep right there.  No
matter where I put him or how I position him, he just went to sleep just
like that.  2) He is not showing any signs of recurring seizures,
droolings, and stuff like that.  He seems to be walking ok yet he looks
like he is carrying at least 50 pounds on him.  3) He cannot keep his head
up long enough.  Those things worry me."

Has anyone ever seen this befor or have any ideas.  This came on VERY
sudden.  Befor anyone takes me taking him and his cagemate to a shelter the
wrong way,...... please understand I did not give up my ferrets.  The women
who run the shelter are very good friends of mine and know better how to
care for Cinn right now and live closer to the vet I use.  I miss her very
much and want to be there for her but I also have a 2 yr old at home with
heart disease who needs me also.

please I need Idea's

Tanya Ann