From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2007 13:29:06 -0400
>Subject: Re: Need Help Force Feeding With A Syringe

Feeding sick ferrets:

Jennifer, ALWAYS first try finger feeding rather than syringe feeding.
Syringe feeding is essential when needed but can usually be avoided.

Here are some resources (past posts and more) to help you. Some give
the kinds of tips you need to avoid syringe feeding while others
concentrate on syringe feeding itself. There are some errors in some
such as listing ferrets as getting colds (which are from a rhinovirus
they don't get though ferrets do get more serious things which can look
like colds) so use your vet's advice and your best judgement with these
truly fine resources. Call and clear what you are feeding and how you
are feeding with your vet first. If syringe feeding is needed ASK FOR
HANDS ON INSTRUCTION BY YOUR VET OR AN ASSIGNED VET TECH.

http://www.afip.org/ferrets/babyfood.html

http://www.everythingferret.com/caring_for_a_sick_ferret.htm

http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~sprite/feeding.htm

<http://www.craftycreatures.com/forferretsonly/ferret_school/ferretschool_feeding.html>

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=540

Our link just got slow so I will count on you to check the many
excellent posts on how to safely feed sick ferrets in the archives:

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/

Here is some other recently shared info:

Kibble can be hard on a some sore stomachs so try things like meat
or poultry based baby foods and try finger feeding to introduce it.
Sometimes they will eat more if sung to (not joking). Just put a towel
on your lap and take your time. Smear some of the food on the ferret's
lips and let the ferret taste it a few times till it is accepted.

Avoid raw foods whenever ferrets are compromised; the bacterial load
(sometimes parasite load, sometimes irritation from bones passing
through by inflamed and easily injured tissues) can be too much for
them. (I do not feed raw myself, but a healthy ferret usually can deal
ok if the prey is well selected, but worse than with other balanced
diets if poorly selected or poorly managed.)

If there is a treat he likes that can be added to water to make the
water especially attractive try that.

If the ferret gags when you are syringe feeding then you are not doing
it slowly enough in low enough amounts, and not enough to the front of
the mouth. Never shoot food in, never insert large amounts, never aim
it for the back of the mouth.

Gagging is one of the indications that food could have been inhaled;
that can cause aspiration pneumonia.

It's a slow thing to feed sick ferrets. Singing can help relax them
and ease the process, so can gentle talking. Take your time!

It is because of the aspiration risk that syringe feeding is saved
for extreme situations typically, and why so much finger,
dropper-in-front-of face, and spoon feeding info is in the archives.
We use the "Dr. Clown Spoon Dropper" with accordion pleat top and wide
opening and have found that to be the best tool we've encountered in
our decades with ferrets. A broad opening reduces the need to press
hard enough that the food will shoot down the throat (an inhalation
risk)

Also reducing that risk is a special hand hold for syringes learned
from an article by Dr. Deb Kemmerer Cottrell. Lay the syringe along
your palm and hold it with your folded in fingers. Use your thumb to
press the plunger. It feels awkward at first but you will find much
better control results.

Do be sure to check the archives.
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/

Sukie (not a vet)