Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 09:27:38 -0800
I know that dogs have an age restriction for shipping (12 weeks).  Is
there a way to get this for ferrets?  I think this would only be a little
help but then they would have to keep them longer and would make them more
expensive and those shelter ferrets would look more appealing and better
for those poor babies.  Any other ideas out there?  If we can make the
big breeders look unappealing then people would be hesitant to buy them.
I know not all but some.  Me being a new ferret owner, I can honestly say
that I have been around animals for a long time actually my whole life
and have never been told about ferrets as pets.  I helped out at my local
humane society adopting dogs and cats in the mall.  I have never ran into
anyone promoting ferrets as pets.  When my daughter decided that she
wanted a ferret, I started doing research because I had no idea what she
was getting us into.  By the time the ferrets came I was prepared but had
no idea just was great pets these guys make for us anyways.  They have
fit into our family so well.  We have seven girls and not one was strong
enough to not fall in love with these guys.

I think that what would help the shelters more is people getting out and
showing their ferrets off.  Take your ferret to the mall and carry him
around.  Talk to people who are curious, only let them pet his back while
you are holding both ends so no one gets bit.  I have not ran across one
person I know and really don't know that well either that has any
knowledge of a ferret.  And out of those people I am sure there are a few
that would love a ferret and be a good home for them.  And all it takes is
a little bit of knowledge.  I know two people that have been over to our
house that is looking into getting a ferret after seeing what they are
like.  And I know when they do get their ferret, it will have a wonderful
home.  What if people donated to a fund for advertisement on ferrets for
adoption at the shelters explaining why they are better than one out of a
pet store.  Invite journalists to come do a piece on the shelters time and
time again.  Put ads in the paper.  I have a friend that has a pet store
and the more I think about it, the more I cant stand it.  They are in it
for the money and nothing else.  Otherwise they would be selling ferrets
that came from shelters not mass producing farms.  I think that ferrets,
dogs, horses and most any other type of animals new people trying to raise
young animals that they are not familiar with just doesn't work.  Which is
why so many go to shelters, right?  Sure you have cases of them working
but the bad cases always out weigh them.  I also think that these shelter
ferrets who have been rehabbed so they make good pets are worth more than
any baby in the pet stores that you have to train.  If people had that
reminder when they were ferret shopping I am sure they would choose a
shelter ferret.  I also feel that most people who adopt any animals from
the pound do it because of compassion and want to help an animal find a
good home.  The rest of the people who don't adopt from that shelters
don't because they think they can find better elsewhere.  I don't think
they realize you can get an instant companion that already has the
training he needs.

Sorry, this is a little long, but I have lately only dealt with farm
animals and the subject of throw away cats and dogs and now ferrets has
always gotten to me.

Molly
Wilson's Feed and Stock

http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/SuburbanSt/wilsons-feed-stock/index.html