From:
sheena staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 22:03:17 -0800
>After reading Kelleen's post about the poor turn-out for her club, i
>thought i might ask all the "Southern Ontario" folks on this list, why they
>haven't joined the SOFA (Southern Ontario Ferret Association)....  the
>turn-out for our club has been just as depressing as the turn-out for FANG.
>i really don't know why...

I'm sorry to hear that your clubs aren't going well, but perhaps you should
give it some time.  The Ferrets and Friends Club and Rescue has been
operational for two years now, almost to the day.  We spent a ton of money
advertising originally...I think it cost us several hundred dollars to get
started.  The most important thing is to contact *everyone*.  This means all
vets, all pet stores and pet supply stores, SPCA's.  Our shelters have been
inspected and approved by the SPCA.  You'd be amazed at how many people
contact me (I do most of the phone work) and say "I got your number from
this pet store or that vet or the SPCA" etc.  Vets call us to ask questions
and the SPCA calls us if they have ferrets who have been there a while
(although lately that hasn't been a problem).  So touch base with everyone.
We have well over 100 members, almost 150 I believe, but it took a long
time.  We also operated an information service/hotline for a year or two
previous and that helped build up our base.

I would love to join your organizations, both of you, and several others I
know of as well.  However, all my money goes into what I'm doing here, so I
just can't.  But you need to send letters to everyone, absolutely everyone,
and get your name out there.  We are constantly adding new members, and we
periodically advertise in local papers to try and get in touch with
everyone.  It will take some time though, so be patient.

Anyway, the real reason I'm writing is ... there is a french ferret folk
song which I can't remember the name of off hand.  Does anyone know where
one could get in touch with someone regarding copyrights to record or play
it??  Someone I know is doing a short documentary on our ferret club and
wants to use the song in it. Please e-mail me if you know.  :)

Sheena ([log in to unmask])
Ferrets & Friends Club & Rescue E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
"dedicated to the preservation of the domestic ferret as a
 household pet", a no-kill, not-for-profit ferret facility.
For more information about the FFCR try our homepage:
< http://www.geopages.com/Colosseum/1575 >