From:
Rob Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 1997 15:14:20 +1030
Hi all... Just a couple of things:

In "Some GOOD news about the shedding studies" it was said <snip>"Remember
folks, we have to do every possible strain of rabies variant (and don't
forget the platypus)," <snip>

What's the story here?  We're rabies free in Oz, and if the good folk at
Customs and Immigration keep up their excellent work we'll remain so.  Who's
been infecting our monotremes?  Come on, own up...

Second thing:
Re: Subject: Metric Ferrets?

>publish the first known water and land speeds of the domesticated ferret.
>The Aussies have lamented the fact that were not metric, as is the rest of
>the world, and have requested a metric formula for converting the time in
>seconds to kilometers per hour....
>The Aussies didn't say if they'd be racing metric ferrets, so . . . . ?
>Edward Frettchenvergnuegen Lipinski,  Der Frettchenlustbarkeitsfuerher !

Please don't attribute my individual comments to all Australians, you clever
witty dinosaur... Mach mal im Platz, Edward :) A friend from PA who stayed
with me last month explained that basically her country people are so
conservative, xenophobic, and resistant to change she's surprised they
didn't still measure everything in cubits!

I was pleased to see Sandy Lazdin's post regarding the South Australian land
speed record for a ferret (as an aside it seems metric ferrets don't get as
sick as avoirdupois ferrets, eh?), and I'd like to say a very public
thank-you to Sandy for going out of her way to drop some printed info into
my letterbox when I couldn't get to a recent display she organised as part
of a "Life, Be In It" day.  Thanks to Sandy's support and information I'm
planning on adding a ferret to our family when I get my holiday pay in
December (after I get my new guitar that is!).

I'll climb back under my rock now.

cheers all

 Rob Dick
 Rob Dick, Adelaide, Australia.          URL: http://www.RKT-Weblife.com.au

 "We make our world significant by the courage of
  our questions and by the depth of our answers."
                                      Carl Sagan, 'Cosmos', 1980.