From:
"David J. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 08:38:41 -0400
>From:    Laura Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Hammock Suggestion
>Can anyone put me on to the name of a company that makes hammocks?

Try making one, they are real easy, you can pcik the size you want, and they
can be made more durable than some I've seen in stores.  Get a piece of
close weave material about 15" x 36".  (I got mine in "Ben Franklin".  Its
the kind of material used to make Levis casual pants.  It cost about $3.00
for a remnant that was 48" x 90" and that has made many ferret toys.)
Anyway, fold it in half, machine sew two sides and all except about 3" of
the last open side to make a bag, turn it inside out (to hide the seams).
Fold edges of the 3" gap in and sew it closed.  You now have a double
thikness, closed bag, without any exposed edges that they can chew!  Get a
"Grommet and Setters Set" (sometimes used for leather work).  I got mine in
"Ben Franklin" for $7.99 but I've seen them in hardware stores also.  Put
one 1/4" grommet in each corner.  (If you can't find a grommet set I have
made "button holes" on one.) Tie to cage with 3/16" nylon rope (the woven
kind, not the three twisted strands).  Make sure the ends of the rope are
melted to prevent fraying.

We've had this type of construction in use for several years, washed it
frequently and had five ferrets try to tear the rope apart.  They are unable
to do anything more than occasionally untie the ropes.  No fraying or chewed
holes.