From:
Cris Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 20:57:06 +0100
I am suprised to see the debate about pet stores raging, for me a lot of
the answers lay with the legislators.  In the uk, to sell livestock, the
store has to be licenced, and that is subject to meeting standards for
care and hygene for the animals it has in stock, and they are subject to
inspection for this.  Anyone can contact the Environmental Health Dept to
raise concerns about a store and that wil be investigated, ok some areas
are more efficient that others, but it works... for ALL species.

Secondly.  Surely if any infant creature is seperated for its mother before
it is able to fend for itself, surely that is a clear case of cruelty, and
subject to legal remedy, if not ..  it should be..  again this stands for
ALL species.

Lastly, again, In the UK, the law requires that any purchase should be
accurately described by the vendor, so to describe a ferret from one
breeder as being from another would be actionable by the local authority,
and would certainly lead to the store receiving a fine... or for persistant
offenders..  other sanctions.  Lets face it..  bad stores will go out of
business if they get enough negative publicity (assuming they have not
lost thier licence already), and that has to be good for all creatures

Maybe it is some time to put some pressure on those who can make a
difference... the legislators, after all you pay thier wages... make em
earn some for a change!  I have deliberately avoided the debate about
certain breeders, I am ignorant of the situation there.  But I am sure that
in all of this, the law could and should be helping to prevent any cruelty
or neglect.

dooks to Otis and Milo in WV (owners of Jason)

Love to all the furkidz out there
Cris Page