From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 23:07:59 EST
Before I begin, let me explain that while I do subscribe to the FML, I
seldom get a chance to read it in a timely fashion.  Therefore, if anyone
has any questions or comments about this post that they would like me to
respond to, please email them to me directly as well as posting to this
list.

This message is directed primarily to current AFA members, but also
contains information for FML readers in general.

The AFA is currently seeking nominations for Officers and Committee
Directors.  The nomination form was included in the current issue of the
AFR (American Ferret Report), but because the issue was late being mailed,
the deadline for nominations has been extended from October 20 to November
12.  Additionally, members can place nominations online at the AFA website.
The URL for the nomination form is:
http://www.ferret.org/nominationform.htm

I bring this up, because in the past, less then 5% of the membership has
bothered to respond.  This is a very sad situation.  An organization has
the potential to be as good as its membership makes it.  Even the best
leaders cannot make an organization great if the membership is apathetic
and uninvolved.  However, if members get involved and work toward change,
an organization can become great, even if the leaders are not.  If nothing
else, the membership can vote out leaders that are ineffective, and elect
new leaders that will provide the skills needed.

During the last few years, a lot of the 'old guard' AFA leaders have
started to burn out, and have gradually pulled away from the organization.
This year marks the last year the Vickie McKimmey and Sally Heber will be
officers.  It is time for some new people to step forward and take the
reigns.  At the end of the calendar year, AFA will have a new president.
Who this person will be depends on who the membership chooses.

We already have some new people stepping forward to take positions in some
of the key positions.  Chris Palaski has taken on the job of Health Affairs
Director, and Mary McCarty has agreed to be the VP of Operations.  We also
have excellent people in other positions like the Breeder Committee
Director and the Shelter Committee Director.  But there are other
committees that currently need people to step forward and agree to be
directors.  One position that needs filling is the Fund Raising Committee
Director.  This person would head up the committee to raise funds for AFA
projects.  One thing I have wanted to see the AFA do for some time is set
up a Ferret Shelter Emergency Fund, where shelters that have an unexpected
expenditure come up could apply for some financial help.  However, without
a director and a committee, this can never be a reality.

Another position that is vacant is the Legislative Committee Director.
This is a very important position.  This person would coordinate efforts
to get Ferret Friendly laws passed.  People have complained that the AFA
has not stepped up to help with things like the California and New York
legalization efforts.  But the AFA is just people, and if there are not
people willing to do the work, there is little the organization can do.
Another effort I would like to see this committee tackle might stop pet
shops from selling ferrets that are too young.  There currently exists
Federal laws that prohibit interstate sale of puppies and kittens under
12 weeks of age.  Imagine if this law also protected ferrets?  Pet shops
would be unable to get kits at the age of 6 or 7 weeks, unless they had a
supplier in their state.  And this is not something we would have to go
alone.  I am sure that some animal rights organizations and Humane
Societies would help with this effort.  But first, someone needs to be
willing to make a start, and take the position.

In addition to Committee Directors, we need committee members.  People
willing to put some time into making changes come about.  People join AFA
by filling out a form and paying their membership fee.  But they belong by
becoming involved.  There is a lot of good a strong national organization
could do.  But no organization will be able to accomplish anything without
members willing to work.

Danee